Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #1

Wanted - Cheaper Sportsmobile in SoCal - will travel to buy

Hi,
I am looking to buy a SMB for short surf trips (less than a week) up and down SoCal and Baja. From personal experience I know I don't do enough extreme offroading that 4wd is a neccesity, nor is diesel.
Here is a list of what I DO want:

Must have an inside shower that drains
Must have an inside toilet, prefer fixed but..
Needs a fridge (size not important)
Also a stove, sink and a double bed
Good sized water/grey water/propane tanks
Good backup power
Microwave and television not needed
I would prefer a extended van
Must be clean and in good condition/mechanically sound
Must look respectable enough to freecamp on the street
Can't be a rust bucket but body damage is okay if the price reflects it
Needs to have working A/C and heat
Also I need a fixed top, preferably a voyager, so I can stand up and store surfboards. I would really prefer as new a model as possible, 2000 and up is preferable but I'm open to offers. The mile's aren't an issue if the price is right. Would like to stay under $10,000 but will go higher for the right one.
Cheers

ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

Re: Wanted - Cheaper Sportsmobile in SoCal - will travel to buy

You never need 4x4 until you're axle deep in mud trying to get up a switchback that secret little surf beach you just found out about...

Having a built in shower might restrict your purchase options quite a bit- would buying a van with a sink and greywater and doing something like this Porta Shower Mod with an SMB inside shower be an option? I think you might have a lot more options this way.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #3

I know what you mean on the 4x4l, I'd actually like a fully tricked out 4x4 diesel but we're probably moving out of the country and for the month or two we'll be back every year I couldn't justify leaving it sitting here. If we decided to move back in the future though.....
We're really set on the inside toilet and shower. I had seen the thread on the porta shower but would definitely want the fixed shower, and preferably the fixed toilet too. I know this limits my options but that way the wife stays happy and I know from experience that makes for a better travel partner, so might as well do it right the first time.
I may end up buying something else, like a Horizon, they're out there in my price/year range and come with a fixed shower/toilet. I did find a SMB specced out like I wanted but it's a 2000 v10 2wd with 60 something thousand miles and the owner won't budge off $17k, seems like it's way too much money, considering the engine/transmission and the fact that it's a voyager top not a pop top (even though I want the voyager top.) Even though it's a SMB it's not the real SMB that everyone wants and as such seems way overpriced. Comments?
Thanks again for the reply
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #4

I have a 1991 Dodge Extended Version Sportsmobil B350/360 V-8 in Mission Viejo, California for under $10k. It doesn't have a shower, but it does have water where you can attach one. It is currently listed on craigs list with pictures if you are interested. Thanks!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/1141546105.html
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote