Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Wanted: Ford Step Bumper

Like the title says......I am looking for a step bumper for my E250. The stop bumper is just too narrow/slippery to use as a step......and we enter/exit the back of the van quite a bit.

Located in SoCal but would be willing to drive a reasonable distance.

I'd also be interested in any aftermarket bumper that would get me the same function as the Ford step bumper.

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Re: Wanted: Ford Step Bumper

I found one at my local pick-and-pull and got it for around $150. Has a small dent in it, but not too bad at all. Prowl around a bit and you are likely to find one. It was definitely money well spent, as it makes it a lot easier to go in/out the back door (we have a center aisle design).

There are also aftermarket ones out there, but from what I've seen they are thinner metal/more cheaply made. You could probably find those online.

A cheaper alternative, if you have a receiver hitch, is to buy a step that slides into the receiver. Before we got our step bumper, I had a cheap step bought from Harbor Freight. Worked ok.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Gotta be a pile of takeoffs at both Aluminess and SMBw, at least I'd think.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Got mine from SMBw. Call/email ahead and they will set a shiny one aside for you. At the time they didn't charge much .. only what the Ford option list charged for a step bumper over the stock contour bumper. I think it was about $140 for a shiny chrome one. It bolts up directly, just 8 bolts. Takes about 10mins to do the swap.

Good Luck,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

^^ Wow, $140 is a deal for an OEM take off. Wish I was close enough to grab one! Locally (here in PA) they go for $250-350 for a used one at junkyards.

They are very easy to install. The base bumper has four bolts/nuts (IIRC), whereas the step bumper has eight due to the fact that you can tow with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #6

Yup, I called ahead and got two of them. One for me and one for my father-in-law. They were super nice about it too.

If you go that route you may want to inquire about the step bumper that has the backup sensors in them. That way they're already factory mounted instead of trying to do this yourself if you were ever thinking of going that route.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but SMBw also has a ton of OEM take-off tires mounted on stock painted steel wheels. 225/75-16s and 245/75-16s. Not a bad way to go if you're close to them seeing that they're already mounted and balanced.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids

Not meaning to hijack the thread but SMBw also has a ton of OEM take-off tires mounted on stock painted steel wheels. 225/75-16s and 245/75-16s. Not a bad way to go if you're close to them seeing that they're already mounted and balanced.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
That's how I got my rims and tires for my van. They were OEM takeoffs from Quigley here in PA. Nice alloy OEM Ford wheels and brand-new Michelin LTX tires for $800.

I should have thought to call Quigley and see if they had pull-off bumpers. But I don't think they install too many aftermarket Aluminess-type bumpers, so probably not.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

Try FamVans in Fountain Valley, Ca
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote