Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bettyford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Port Angeles Wa And Quartzsite Az
Posts: 1,192
Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc "Bought One"

Im going to buy a endruro in the next week or so and thought I would check with you all first. Im not to picky since it's just going on camping trips with the van.

Im all about old and cheap. I would be interested in anything.

Thanks

Ron
__________________

__________________
Going where most dont
"one day at a time"
bettyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Roonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PNW WA
Posts: 618
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Just sold my 02 XR400R for cheap 2k and it was in great shape and licensed. I am replacing it with a new/newer (if I can find used) WR250R Yamaha. I would love to find a perfect 400 cc dual sport that is licensed legally. Have heard great things about the WR just wish they made it in the 450 cc platform. I check out Craigslist and cycle trader almost everyday. Good luck.
__________________

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bettyford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Port Angeles Wa And Quartzsite Az
Posts: 1,192
Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

yea im a big guy and a 250 is way to small for me.

Ron
__________________
Going where most dont
"one day at a time"
bettyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dhally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 801
Garage
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
Im going to buy a endruro in the next week or so and thought I would check with you all first. Im not to picky since it's just going on camping trips with the van.

Im all about old and cheap. I would be interested in anything.

Thanks

Ron
There are always some of those on ADVRider flea market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Could also check their Rockies regional flea market
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=flea

And here's just what you're looking for in Littleton
1992 xt600e
__________________
---------------------
2009 E250 RB 5.4L "SilVan"
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
SheepShagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 340
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Have heard great things about the WR just wish they made it in the 450 cc platform. I check out Craigslist and cycle trader almost everyday. Good luck.
They do make a WR450, my wife had one for a few years. Biggest complaint is that it's a serious maintenance whore.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
NRL
Senior Member
 
NRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 475
Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Finding a street legal KTM 400 Exc/sxc (2003+) is also nice for dual sport (dirt & highway)..

You want street legal cuz you want to be able to ride on trails that are only for street legal vehicles.. The law enforcement rangers (the ones that carry firearms) get all hot and bothered when they think your a red or green sticker bike riding on trails, I've seen them trace bike tracks back to camp. To Bad, we were legally plated. Good examples are trails and camps sites near Caruthers Canyon, Mojave, Piute and Anza Borrego area.


It should weigh just about the same as the 250 would.. but definitely not as heavy as a 650. (It wouldn't matter if you use a trailer, but for us, we don't and must use the hitch motorjackrack or equivalent homemade bike hitch bike carrier.
__________________
96 RB E-350 460v8 4x4 Custom RestoMod
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Key West Fl, Port Isabel Tx
Posts: 44
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Been back and forth the same issue- weight and handling- power reliability flickability off road on road stability
easy service durability cost and availability of parts
the winner Honda XR 400 lighter than 650 enough power for anything
durable
__________________
2002 SMB RB15 7.3PSD
Contempo top 2WD sold
2008 Ram CTD
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 785
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfarm
Been back and forth the same issue- weight and handling- power reliability flickability off road on road stability
easy service durability cost and availability of parts
the winner Honda XR 400 lighter than 650 enough power for anything
durable

An xr400 was my first new bike 12 years ago. Went thru a full series of KTM and Husky four strokes and a few KTM two strokes, and have come full circle. Recently traded my Husky 450 for my friend's 2001 plated xr400. He may have put 50 miles on the bike since new. I'm not so much into performance any more and just want simple and reliable. And I don't kid myself either, I am not good enough to out-ride an XR. Old technology works for me.

BF, look around for a plated xr400 or xr600. They are cheap, reliable and easy to find and service.
Good luck.

R
__________________
2006 SMB 4x4, EB-51, 6.0psd
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Roonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PNW WA
Posts: 618
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

The reason I just sold my XR400 was for two reasons. The first and most important... it doesn't have electric start! Maybe mine was cranky. Maybe I didn't have the "technique" down for starting it. Maybe I didn't ride it enough to have it start every time all the time but that bike was work to get it to run sometimes. If you lay it down and it gets flooded forget it. Have your buddies wait a good 5 minutes at least. Mine was rejetted and had the Gordon mods done to it by me. Ran awesome when running.

The second reason is I had to go to Idaho to get mine plated. Even then Idaho was going to take the plate away. I have to have a licensed bike to run on the forrest service roads and such in WA state. Yes I know they just passed a bill to make getting licenses easier but it doesn't start till Jan 2012. Even then you have to buy a full dual sport kit ($$) for the bike.

I currently have a BMW F800GS but want something smaller for the woods and trail riding. I know they make the WR450 but it needs to be dual sport legally. I have seriously thought about the Husaberg 390 and the Husqvarna 450 and even some of the EXC's but they are $$$$. The WR250R is simple, cheap, and gets the job done while still being light enough for it. I can carry it on the back of my SMB.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 785
Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
The reason I just sold my XR400 was for two reasons. The first and most important... it doesn't have electric start! Maybe mine was cranky. Maybe I didn't have the "technique" down for starting it. Maybe I didn't ride it enough to have it start every time all the time but that bike was work to get it to run sometimes. If you lay it down and it gets flooded forget it. Have your buddies wait a good 5 minutes at least. Mine was rejetted and had the Gordon mods done to it by me. Ran awesome when running.

The second reason is I had to go to Idaho to get mine plated. Even then Idaho was going to take the plate away. I have to have a licensed bike to run on the forrest service roads and such in WA state. Yes I know they just passed a bill to make getting licenses easier but it doesn't start till Jan 2012. Even then you have to buy a full dual sport kit ($$) for the bike.

I currently have a BMW F800GS but want something smaller for the woods and trail riding. I know they make the WR450 but it needs to be dual sport legally. I have seriously thought about the Husaberg 390 and the Husqvarna 450 and even some of the EXC's but they are $$$$. The WR250R is simple, cheap, and gets the job done while still being light enough for it. I can carry it on the back of my SMB.
I hear you on the e-start. That is a very nice feature that I miss on the XR. My plan is to never stall or drop the bike
Sounds good in theory.

R
__________________

__________________
2006 SMB 4x4, EB-51, 6.0psd
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×