Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc "Bought One"

Im going to buy a endruro in the next week or so and thought I would check with you all first. Im not to picky since it's just going on camping trips with the van.

Im all about old and cheap. I would be interested in anything.

Thanks

Ron

Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #2

Re: Wanted motorcycle 450cc- 650cc

Just sold my 02 XR400R for cheap 2k and it was in great shape and licensed. I am replacing it with a new/newer (if I can find used) WR250R Yamaha. I would love to find a perfect 400 cc dual sport that is licensed legally. Have heard great things about the WR just wish they made it in the 450 cc platform. I check out Craigslist and cycle trader almost everyday. Good luck.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

yea im a big guy and a 250 is way to small for me.

Ron
Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
Im going to buy a endruro in the next week or so and thought I would check with you all first. Im not to picky since it's just going on camping trips with the van.

Im all about old and cheap. I would be interested in anything.

Thanks

Ron
There are always some of those on ADVRider flea market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Could also check their Rockies regional flea market
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=flea

And here's just what you're looking for in Littleton
1992 xt600e
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Have heard great things about the WR just wish they made it in the 450 cc platform. I check out Craigslist and cycle trader almost everyday. Good luck.
They do make a WR450, my wife had one for a few years. Biggest complaint is that it's a serious maintenance whore.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Finding a street legal KTM 400 Exc/sxc (2003+) is also nice for dual sport (dirt & highway)..

You want street legal cuz you want to be able to ride on trails that are only for street legal vehicles.. The law enforcement rangers (the ones that carry firearms) get all hot and bothered when they think your a red or green sticker bike riding on trails, I've seen them trace bike tracks back to camp. To Bad, we were legally plated. Good examples are trails and camps sites near Caruthers Canyon, Mojave, Piute and Anza Borrego area.

It should weigh just about the same as the 250 would.. but definitely not as heavy as a 650. (It wouldn't matter if you use a trailer, but for us, we don't and must use the hitch motorjackrack or equivalent homemade bike hitch bike carrier.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Been back and forth the same issue- weight and handling- power reliability flickability off road on road stability
easy service durability cost and availability of parts
the winner Honda XR 400 lighter than 650 enough power for anything
durable
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfarm
Been back and forth the same issue- weight and handling- power reliability flickability off road on road stability
easy service durability cost and availability of parts
the winner Honda XR 400 lighter than 650 enough power for anything
durable

An xr400 was my first new bike 12 years ago. Went thru a full series of KTM and Husky four strokes and a few KTM two strokes, and have come full circle. Recently traded my Husky 450 for my friend's 2001 plated xr400. He may have put 50 miles on the bike since new. I'm not so much into performance any more and just want simple and reliable. And I don't kid myself either, I am not good enough to out-ride an XR. Old technology works for me.

BF, look around for a plated xr400 or xr600. They are cheap, reliable and easy to find and service.
Good luck.

R
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #9

The reason I just sold my XR400 was for two reasons. The first and most important... it doesn't have electric start! Maybe mine was cranky. Maybe I didn't have the "technique" down for starting it. Maybe I didn't ride it enough to have it start every time all the time but that bike was work to get it to run sometimes. If you lay it down and it gets flooded forget it. Have your buddies wait a good 5 minutes at least. Mine was rejetted and had the Gordon mods done to it by me. Ran awesome when running.

The second reason is I had to go to Idaho to get mine plated. Even then Idaho was going to take the plate away. I have to have a licensed bike to run on the forrest service roads and such in WA state. Yes I know they just passed a bill to make getting licenses easier but it doesn't start till Jan 2012. Even then you have to buy a full dual sport kit ($$) for the bike.

I currently have a BMW F800GS but want something smaller for the woods and trail riding. I know they make the WR450 but it needs to be dual sport legally. I have seriously thought about the Husaberg 390 and the Husqvarna 450 and even some of the EXC's but they are $$$$. The WR250R is simple, cheap, and gets the job done while still being light enough for it. I can carry it on the back of my SMB.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
The reason I just sold my XR400 was for two reasons. The first and most important... it doesn't have electric start! Maybe mine was cranky. Maybe I didn't have the "technique" down for starting it. Maybe I didn't ride it enough to have it start every time all the time but that bike was work to get it to run sometimes. If you lay it down and it gets flooded forget it. Have your buddies wait a good 5 minutes at least. Mine was rejetted and had the Gordon mods done to it by me. Ran awesome when running.

The second reason is I had to go to Idaho to get mine plated. Even then Idaho was going to take the plate away. I have to have a licensed bike to run on the forrest service roads and such in WA state. Yes I know they just passed a bill to make getting licenses easier but it doesn't start till Jan 2012. Even then you have to buy a full dual sport kit ($$) for the bike.

I currently have a BMW F800GS but want something smaller for the woods and trail riding. I know they make the WR450 but it needs to be dual sport legally. I have seriously thought about the Husaberg 390 and the Husqvarna 450 and even some of the EXC's but they are $$$$. The WR250R is simple, cheap, and gets the job done while still being light enough for it. I can carry it on the back of my SMB.
I hear you on the e-start. That is a very nice feature that I miss on the XR. My plan is to never stall or drop the bike
Sounds good in theory.

R