Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

Wanted SMB. We want to buy another SMB!!

Hello,
We currently have a 1995 Dodge SMB that we bought at SMB-Austin. It has 140,000 miles and we love it. We have had no problems, but are looking for a 2000ish or newer with lower mileage. We definitely want a hard top, no pop-ups. Prefer twin beds, shower, and extended body. We are located in Texas and would love any input you can offer.

Thanks,
Darold & Patsy
pklamt@sbcglobal.net

klamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Wanted SMB. We want to buy another SMB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamt
Hello,

We currently have a 1995 Dodge SMB that we bought at SMB-Austin. It has 140,000 miles and we love it. We have had no problems, but are looking for a 2000 or newer with lower mileage. We definitely want a hard top, no pop-ups. Prefer twin beds, shower, and extended body. We are located in Texas and would love any input you can offer.

Thanks,

Darold & Patsy
Search the classifieds here, though there never seem to be many hardtops, and have you checked the Sportsmobile website's Previously Owned section?

Herb
Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #3

Wanted SMB

Thank you Herb. We have been checking the previously owned SMB's through Sportsmobile in all 3 locations. We just recently found this SMB forum. Thanks for the information.

Darold & Patsy
Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #4

Hard like the voyager or (other fixed top who's name I cannot remember) or hard like the OEM van top?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #5

Hard top

Hi jage,

That's a good question and we hope to be able to answer your question. We want to be able to stand upright and camp without raising the top. So I suppose we don't want the penthouse. We assume, and may be wrong, that the Voyager and Cruiser tops would need to be raised in order to camp. We are not sure what the OEM van top is. We are showing our ignorance.

We are hoping to be educated by knowledgeable people. Thank you for the question.

Darold & Patsy
Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #6

Hard top

Hi jage,

That's a good question and we hope to be able to answer your question. We want to be able to stand upright and camp without raising the top. So I suppose we don't want the penthouse. We assume, and may be wrong, that the Voyager and Cruiser tops would need to be raised in order to camp. We are not sure what the OEM van top is. We are showing our ignorance.

We are hoping to be educated by knowledgeable people. Thank you for the question.

Darold & Patsy
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #7

I'm just curious, but why do you not want the poptop on the Sportsmobile? Is it because you feel like it is inconvenient? Or are you worried about the hastle of manually putting it up and down? Or is it for heat/cold reasons? Of course there may be other reasons and I'm curious to hear what they may be.

Just to let you know, it takes about 15 seconds for me to put it up or down manually. I'm not sure how long it takes with an electric top, but I do know that you unhook three latches and then flip a switch...that's it.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #8

Hard top

Hello,

We could be limiting ourselves by this preference, but we have traveled to many different places under lots of conditions. We do feel it would be somewhat of a hassle if we must put the top up. We were checking into a park near Lake Louise and the park would not allow any campers who had tents or any fabric tops because of the bear threat during that particular time. Traveling in Alaska we felt safer camping in the rough being protected with metal. Also camping in extremely windy, rainy, cold conditions we have appreciated the hard top.

Thank you for your input.

Darold & Patsy
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #9

The Voyager and Cruiser tops are fixed hard fiberglass shells, so they cannot be raised or lowered. We have a Voyager top, and opted for a GM van rather than a Ford because the interior standing height with the Voyager top is listed as 6'5" for the GMs, and only 6' for the Ford. I'm 6'1" and have about 1 - 2" clearance in our GMC. If we had went with as Ford, we would have opted for the penthouse since I wouldn't have been able to stand upright in the Voyager anyway.

I believe the Cruiser top has more headroom, and the penthouse tops have plenty of room when raised.

Lots more pros and cons for the tops (parking, insulation, wind stability, looks, etc., that have been hashed out in prior posts.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #10

Hi klamt,

I can relate to having a fixed top for a variety of weather conditions. I do winter camping and the Voyager Top is great.
I have a 2003 Ford van with a Voyager Top for sale.
To see some photos, click albums at the top of this page, look for Zugg and you can see 4 pictures.

This van is listed in the classifieds section of this forum--

Here is the link: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1315

Good luck finding the right van for your needs.

Zugg