Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #1

Wanted Sprinter 2007, 2008 RB rental

I am looking to rent a RB 144" WB Sprinter for a week or two. My wife and I are non smokers and have no pets. We are thinking about purchasing a Sprinter RB with the regular roof (not pop up) and want to drive one for a while.

We live in Northern California. My auto insurance covers rentals (USAA) will furnish the insurance with your name added for the rental.

How much per week, how many miles are included, what floor plan and where is your Sprinter located?

Thanks,

Sinbad

Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Sinbad, with all due respect, I wonder if there is any amount of money that would convince me to let a stranger drive away in my brand new Sportsmobile.
USAA or not.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
Sinbad, with all due respect, I wonder if there is any amount of money that would convince me to let a stranger drive away in my brand new Sportsmobile.
USAA or not.
I understand. If you were going to spend a large sum for a vehicle it would be prudent to drive one, and not just for a few minutes. Since we do a lot of traveling and camping, we wanted to see how the Sprinter Sportsmobile conversion would drive on the road for all day and would we really like the extra space enough to spend the money (we have a pop top mini van camper).

Sinbad
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #4

Buying blind is almost a SMB tradition. I couldn't find anyone to even show me an SMB in person until I showed up to pick mine up.

My brother has a Sprinter and loves it. The first time he drove a Sprinter was in Texas when he picked it up.

The best you can do is probably find a non-SMB Sprinter to drive.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Buying blind is almost a SMB tradition. I couldn't find anyone to even show me an SMB in person until I showed up to pick mine up.

My brother has a Sprinter and loves it. The first time he drove a Sprinter was in Texas when he picked it up.

The best you can do is probably find a non-SMB Sprinter to drive.
I did drive a Roadtrek SS so I have some idea of how a RB Sprinter drives, but it was a short test drive. Thanks,

Sinbad
Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #6

Sinbad,
Jage is right, your best bet is to rent a Roadtrek, Pleasureway or some other class B on a Sprinter platform from an RV company for a week or so, then go to Sportsmobile in Fresno and test drive one of their vans. That will tell you all you need to know.
It takes an enormous amount of time to research, design and find financing for the Sportsmobile that will suit your needs. There's a wealth of knowledge from the folks on this site, I know because I've been helped enormously since I bought my new van in January.
How did you come to think that a SMB was for you?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #7

I have visited the Sportsmobile factory in 1995 as I bought their Ford Aerostar pop top conversion- top only- SM was too busy to do the conversion- so I had it done it San Diego. Drove it over 120,000 miles including shipping it to Europe in 1996 for a 3 month stay. Currently have a 2006 Toyota Sienna Pop Top camper with the top by GTRV (Coast Outfitters) in Vancouver, BC. I am a general contractor and build fine furniture as a hobby- so I did the interior, insulation, electrical, etc. Van works and camps great, but we are thinking of a larger van.

I have been trying to find a Pleasureway Ascent to rent on the Web, but Pleasureway does not know of any company who rents them. So, if you know anyone- let me know.

Sinbad
Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #8

It's been since last summer that I did any research on this matter, but I believe I found rentals in Vancouver, Canada and also either LA or San Diego, all on the web.
Are you thinking of doing the interior yourself again? You have lots more experience than I did when all my studying led me to Sportsmobile. I was a backpacker who'd owned full sized vans. If you've done alot of camping, done alot of driving of smaller vehicles with pop tops, and are skilled in automotive matters, you're there.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #9

Hi,

Thanks, I'll try those locations.

Sinbad