Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Garage
Wanted : used Diesel E350 Extended cargo van !

Hello guys,

My project takes a concret start now. My house is being sold now and I can make my project start concretely. Since specifications of my next van are a little special (it's not the same to have a van for short trips or to live in year-round), I decided to buy a used diesel cargo van and to build a new SMB and 4x4 conversion. Main options are now defined but the most difficult from here in Switzerland is to locate the right pre owned van. I look at ads for several weeks but I don't manage to find what I'm looking for. So, if you could help me by posting links of vans for sale with specifications below that you could see, it would be really great!

Here are specifications I want :
  • - Ford E350 Extended 6.0L Diesel (Powerstrocke)
    - model year 2009 or 2010
    - not more than 60'000 miles
    - cargo van (no passenger van with windows!)
    - swing-out side doors (no sliding door)
    - no rust or bumps
    - no holes in the body (excepted in top which will be replaced)
    - no aftermarket windows (rear)
    - cruise control

Prefered color: sand or another clear color.
I would also consider a 2008 year model if I don't manage to find a 2009 or 2010 van.

Options that would be good (but not imperative):
  • - twin headlights and chrome front end
    - 4.1 gear
    - deluxe sound insulation
    - power mirrors
    - power windows (front)
    - power lock
    - towing package

No matter what wheels, tires, radio are on, they will be replaced.
Of course, if you would see such a van already 4x4 converted, I would also consider it.

And if someone have coordinates of trust companies making technical check of engine/transmission/drivetrain (for fee), it could also help me.

Already thanks a lot for you help !

I wish you all happy new year, with lot of pleasant SMB trips !

Claude-Alain

Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Wanted : used Diesel E350 Extended cargo van !

You've probably seen these already:

Couple of higher mileage '08s on Ebay: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks ... &Make=Ford

Craigslist:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/ctd/3493275076.html
http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/cto/3410051279.html

Commercial Truck Trader has a few too: http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Fo ... 008%3A2010

Check out the green one in Ohio.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Garage

Thanks Zeta. Yes, I saw these but no one combines all specifications required... And RB doesn't come into consideration for my project.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I think RSC confines you to no larger than 285's if I'm correct. Is that a problem for you? Also why a 6.0? A 7.3 platform is a great package unless you are looking for a SMB 4x4 system which are harder to find. I know several folks try to stick with a conversion that is more "Ford" orientated when traveling outside the US. Seems to me that a converted used van might be a good choice, then tweak it to what you want. Moving the water lines or adding better insulation might be costly but considering a complete new build it might be a cost savings. Just a thought Claude.

I wish you luck on your want. Hopefully somebody on the site will find you what you're after. You might have to bump the thread from time to time to keep it alive.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #5

RSC was never available for the diesel. Even though Ford stuck some RSC badges on some of them, it still didn't exist. Only the gas motors could be had with RSC.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #6

QuadVan has one that seems to meet most of your criteria except year (and its already 4x4):
http://www.quadvan.com/4x4-van-inven...d3df8be7cb2256
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #7

Garage

Thanks to both of you.

Why not a 7.3? Just because the latter were produced in 2003 and are already 10 years old. As I will travel many round-years in the van, I definitely prefer a newer vehicle.

Why not a pre ownd SMB (also a 2wd one)? Because I choosed an EB-51 layout and didn't see just one for sale...

You're right carringb, I don't need RSC. It's a confusion of my part. I edit my first post.

The prupose of this thread is also to look for vans that you could see on dealer's parkings and which are not necessarily on Internet. Thanks to those who will look for me!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Because I choosed an EB-51 layout
EB-51 is an RB-50 with the extra length left at the back (so the interior doesn't stretch with the van). I've seen a few for sale off and on, but yeah, it's kind of like waiting for a transformer.

So, what is your timeline?

When you say about holes "top will be replaced" what are you putting on?

Also being USA newer is not always better... I'm not saying don't go with the 6.0L, I have both 6.0L and 7.3L currently (one is pickup), but realize that the van itself is nearly identical and the engine is a response to the US Environmental Protection Agency regulations more than a timely improvement on an already good product. I'm glossing over things at a very high level, but there is likely a huge cultural difference here.

Where there is a rather huge difference is the 4x4 conversions, the various systems and transfer cases. That's a whole other discussion (and has been had a number of times) but I'm curious on what your intent for the 4x4 is- like how robust, and what are the most extreme conditions you are expecting to use it?

This will be fun to follow, both the discussion and build. As I've said before: We love to spend each others money!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
QuadVan has one that seems to meet most of your criteria except year (and its already 4x4):
http://www.quadvan.com/4x4-van-inven...d3df8be7cb2256
Who knows, it might have side barn doors. I can't understand why companies like that won't show all four sides of the van.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #10

Garage

Thanks Jage,

That's right, EB51 is a RB50 in an extended van.

My timeline ? I hope to idealy find a van in the two coming months and then to start the built, seeking to be ready to leave in July or August...

About the top, I decided for a insulated Voyager Top. I plan to spend a winter in Patagonia, where typical temperature are between 10° and -5°F, that's why I want a better insulation than normal SMB. Penthouse top aren't suitable for that. It's not the same just going for the week-end in the mountains or to live several months in cold weather...

As I will be travelling for many years, I'm convinced that it will be a difference buying a 3-4 years old van or a 10 or more years old one. Maybe not now but in ten years... Most SMB just ride some weeks each year, mine will be on the road every 365 days a year for many years...
That's my main concern to look now for a recent van and not a ten years old one.

Of course, if I would find a recent diesel SMB with EB-51 layout and even a Penthouse top, with or without 4x4, I would consider it, since replacing the top isn't a big deal. Some weeks ago, I asked Alan from SMB West if he knows customers which could sell their EB51. But he answered that they won't contact customers to ask... Maybe somebody on this forum..?

Thank you for your help.