Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #31

A drag that your rig was stolen, but a fortunate ending, for the most part. That kind of possibility has to be on the minds of all who own one of these remarkable machines. A couple of links on security methods are below, for those unfamiliar with the options available. Lots of good ideas: Ravelco, One By One, Spot Trace (one tenth the cost of LoJack!), in addition to the standard alarm systems and more. Gotta use protection!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/anti-theft-devices-15327.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/theft-prevention-ravelco-16922.html

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rex View Post
Really good to hear. Having it recovered largely whole and undamaged was most fortunate.

With all of the mods and extra invested in some of these rigs, I wonder how much less than actual replacement cost would come back from a theft claim with the insurance company..
I actually came out way ahead on my settlement, but it took five months of fighting. I can't remember the name of the company that handles total loss claims for State Farm, but they suck. State Farm went after them on my behalf - State Farm does not suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
A drag that your rig was stolen, but a fortunate ending, for the most part. That kind of possibility has to be on the minds of all who own one of these remarkable machines. A couple of links on security methods are below, for those unfamiliar with the options available. Lots of good ideas: Ravelco, One By One, Spot Trace (one tenth the cost of LoJack!), in addition to the standard alarm systems and more. Gotta use protection!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/anti-theft-devices-15327.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/theft-prevention-ravelco-16922.html
The first two things I added when I got my new van. Love both of these! The Spot Trace is really awesome. And, I kept my van in a secured storage facility until the day of my Ravelco install. Can't say enough about them either. And thanks to rallypanam for turning me on to both of these products/companies.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #33

Glad you got it back!

As for SF bay area being a bastion of car theft, I fairly regularly leave my van unlocked by accident. So far not an issue! Used to do this with my old truck and van at my old place too. Generally you're much more likely to get ripped off if you leave something visible for a smash and grab, or have a Honda/Acura that a shaved key will open and start.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Glad you got it back!

As for SF bay area being a bastion of car theft, I fairly regularly leave my van unlocked by accident. So far not an issue! Used to do this with my old truck and van at my old place too. Generally you're much more likely to get ripped off if you leave something visible for a smash and grab, or have a Honda/Acura that a shaved key will open and start.
Nice to hear your luck is holding out, but I've only heard of three stolen SMBs anywhere. One in Berkeley and two in S.F. Don't forget to pull the Revelco plug
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #35
Site Team

Ironically, isn't Fresno the car theft capital of California?

Herb
Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #36

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Sweet!! So glad you got your Van back.

I only remember the Yellow Rig Getting stolen wasn't that in LA somewhere?

Ron
Old 02-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #37

Garage
Interesting bit of news about Ravelco--they will sell direct to the customer for a self-install for $300. That's pretty cheap insurance for a rig that worth tens of thousands. Especially if their claim that with 5 million sold over 40 years, no Ravelco-equipped vehicle has ever been stolen.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Interesting bit of news about Ravelco--they will sell direct to the customer for a self-install for $300. That's pretty cheap insurance for a rig that worth tens of thousands. Especially if their claim that with 5 million sold over 40 years, no Ravelco-equipped vehicle has ever been stolen.
Pay the extra $200 and have them install. The guy that did my van was here for hours and he knew what he was doing!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Pay the extra $200 and have them install. The guy that did my van was here for hours and he knew what he was doing!
Sadly, there are no dealers in either Washington or Oregon, so those of us in the Pacific North-Wet are on our own.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #40

Take a road trip down this way. You can check out all our awesome roads, bridges, and dams along the way!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote