Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

What's with these prices!?!?!

http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowned...bile-west-inc/

WOW.

I thought a few months to a year ago you could get a gently used SMB 4x4 for a lot less than six figures.

Maybe I should use my 401K to buy a SMB and then flip it a year later for $25k more than I paid. Kind of like investing in classic cars.

Just glad we already own one. That's for sure.

E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Re: What's with these prices!?!?!

Story of my life. I'm hunting very hard right now for a rig. Not sure if this is the new norm or buyers getting caught up in the summer season. The first rig on Sportsmobile West's website is just what I'm looking for but pretty close in price to have a new fiberglass built later this year.

Hard to tell where the market price is as some of these have sat for a while on the website while others have gone pretty quickly for an unknown price. I'm fine with paying fair price.....just hard to figure out what is market value.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #3

I will sell you ours for 1 million dollars today if you like. Gently used.

I hear you. I would definitely look into those fiberglass builds. That prototype they rolled out at Overland looked interesting.

The only thing I can imagine is the current hiatus in the E-Series market has people taking advantage of the supply vs demand plus the added 6 months to a year to wait for a new build. Your best option may be to keep your eyes peeled for a 2x4 with the layout you want and then convert to 4x4 on your own leaving off a bunch of the Aluminess goodies also b/c it seems like 10 grand for bumpers and nerf bars may be driving the prices up as well.

The ones that are sitting the longest it looks like are the 6.0's.
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

All practical advice....but that Aluminess looks so badass!

I'm still debating that option (2wd) and haven't ruled it out. I've made peace with the fact I might have to wait at least 1+ years to find the right rig or to get in line for a new build. In the meantime I refresh adhunter and this forum 15 times a day.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

Funny to hear of your frustration because the same expirence pushed me to pull the trigger a couple years ago. I can only offer my expirence and hope it helps. I looked for years waiting to "find" the "perfect rig"...... it was always way to expensive or after I reconciled the cost benefit ratio it sold the day before i booked the flight. Then i realized the perfect rig was the one i could use. So my wife and I planned a trip and started looking for the best available rig. It turns out it was a $23,000 2x4 in chicago with low miles, one owner and it was stored in doors and loved. the Plan was alway a $x4 so that is what we did ...... Made the deal over the Phone, the rig was as expected and we flew out and drove her home. That was 4-28-13 and by July she was converted by Advanced 4X4, with Aluminess, lights wheels and tires we were in a beautiful rig that has been reliable and taken our family to beautiful places in style and comfort. Would I do another poptop v8 eb10 ? No I would not....... But with every trip I find my "perfect rig" ..... I will build a rig that is perfect for me ......but today we have fun in a rig we put together with about $55,000 and a date, These truck are never a good deal..... I have seen several since I have owned one that I would buy, but as I wait for the "perfect rig" I now truly understand its subjective and elusive. My advice is to buy what you can afford and use the shit out of it as you figure out what you really want and/or can afford. Good luck with your search and safe travels.

tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

That's great advice Tully - There are for sure loads of great used smb's being sold for far less - just elsewhere. These listings sometimes sit for months which makes me think the prices you see there are only really a good indication of what the seller hopes to get for it. And sometimes those expectations don't line up with reality.

Six years ago I also lusted after the new, super pricey smb's you see there but I wanted to go out camping in one, not stare them on screens - so I bought what I could afford. Our e350 smb is an oldie but bulletproof reliable and hasn't really held us back from doing anything I would have tried in a new 4x4. Actually the other way around cause I might be stressed about parking or damaging it off road. Or working like crazy to pay for it = less camping ha!
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

All good advice and I've pretty much thrown economics out the window awhile ago. These rigs are a lifestyle choice not a wise investment. I'm on the fence with getting something cheaper with the intention to upgrade down the road once we figure out the ideal setup or just go big now and be done with it. Honestly, after camping religiously out of a short bed truck and cap with the wife and a 100lb lab any SMB is going to be a pleasant upgrade.

Appreciate the feedback though and it's reassuring to hear all the stories of "no regrets" and the satisfaction your rigs have brought you. Sooner or later we will get it done.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #8

I got my 99 for a steal. Really good deals come up from time to time but you gotta be ready to pounce and not be afraid to put a little elbow grease in.