Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Think Grampswrx offers some real sound advice.

Now that you've decided on pursuing a van, your motivation & excitement may not be your ally.
I would certainly do some research using the "Search" function, just to get acquainted with other "builds" - there have been some real creative resolves that reveal the complexity (or simplicity) in adding some of the features you described in you initial post. You'll probably also discover "items" in these many builds that you may want to add as well, and even solutions that are low cost alternatives.
Point is, the education will give you perspective on the "Want-to-haves" and "got-to-haves".
Thanks a lot for this good advise. Technically, I am looking for this project since 2 months. Just took me more time to decide that I want to go for it.

Agreed with your view that precipitation is not the best.

bfolens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I think the one in TX with the 4 captains seats is pretty close in price. I personally think $23-$25k would be fair. The layouts with 4 captains are harder to find and people with small children need that layout. That van lacks a furnace though so keep that in mind.

As far as adding a kitchen setup in the back of that conversion van, I don't think it would work because of the way the rear bench folds down into a bed. It takes up too much space in the back so you wouldn't be able to have a fixture there if laying the bed down. If it was an extended body, it probably would have enough room.
This is my main concern. the space after the bed is open. Certainly possible to do it with talent and creativity:-) But I do agree with your point.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #23

Garage
Thanks OlyEsteban for this complete response. Really appreciated.

You confirm most of my concerns that it will not be easy for me to build something myself considering time and infrastructure:-). I am good with the beer.

Maybe, the drift and goose option can be considered. I need to look at their products.

Do you know if there is any US manufacturer making same product? to avoid delay and maybe more adapted to US Ford truck.
Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfolens View Post
Thanks OlyEsteban for this complete response. Really appreciated.
Do you know if there is any US manufacturer making same product? to avoid delay and maybe more adapted to US Ford truck.
Thanks again.
I don't know of anyone making the same product. I'd suggest creating a new thread and asking the forum if they know of a solution. Also, possibly contact Escape camper vans and find out who did their fit out?
OlyEsteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyEsteban View Post
I don't know of anyone making the same product. I'd suggest creating a new thread and asking the forum if they know of a solution. Also, possibly contact Escape camper vans and find out who did their fit out?
Good idea for escape. As far as they are okay to tell me, it is homemade.

I am looking at the drawer option and this opens a lot of other options such as going for a regular Ford Econoline keeping the first bench and install a long drawer with kitchen integrated. Using the top of the drawer as bed.

I have seen a lot of van built like that but nothin as a "kit".

I can deal easily with the electronic but not the wood parts. I do not know how much a woodshop would charge me for building this.

Something like that is fun.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #26

Decked makes a "kit" that is pretty close to what you describe. Price isn't bad and a decent mattress on top you'd have a bed and drawers.

https://decked.com/products/decked-f...nt=31141467335
OlyEsteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #27

Garage
Front Runner has some stuff that might fit your request...
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...e-systems.html
Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #28

I designed my own with no stove but I have a microwave). This does not mean that I don't cook. I own a 1-burner butane stove that is highly adjustable and very stable (often sold in oriental food stores for use with woks), and by preference, I cook outside. Lot's more room and less van cleaning that way. I do recommend a built in refrigerator (my kitchen is microwave, sink with hot water, small refrigerator). For a family, you'd either want a larger portable stove or two of the type I have.

My van drives legally with 6 people. For camp use, there is another seat suitable for 2.

From your comments, I suspect you would do well with something similar.
ecotyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #29

Garage
Although this does not fit the budget you outlined, It may provide ideas if you decide to purchase a Van and do a partial build ... Looks like it has seating you referred to & a small kitchen in the back

https://www.ebay.com/itm/sportsmobil...3:pf:0&vxp=mtr