Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I watched when the guy "flushed" that thing it FREAKED ME RIGHT THE HELL OUT.
- Eric

Just don't flush it while sittin down

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

Thanks for the link to HD. I read many of the reviews. Not sure what I'll choose but still leaning towards the Leveo and planning to add cat litter to absorb liquid. However, if it doesnt work, it's a very expensive bucket!
rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Yeah seems to be more good reviews than bad but unlike sitting in a cooler environment, the thing also has to be able to handle sitting in California heat between trips. Someone also mentioned about it not handling rough roads so I'm not too sure about storing it in a bumper box and the reason I need it to handle cold temps.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #14

Garage
I just watched the video. That's just a bit too wild for me. The Laveo costs $0.75 per use, but costs $600 to buy. WAG bags cost me a buck, and my 5 gallon bucket was free and will never need batteries, and will never let me down. With the WAG bags that I use, I have never had an odor, and never had a failure. Maybe I'm just too simple minded, but I'll stick with my bucket. Y'all have fun with all that fancy stuff...
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolorun View Post
After speaking to Thetford, I now know a lot more about toilets. For me, it's a weight issue when dumping. I can only lift and pull light objects.
How heavy can you comfortably lift? I have a medium-sized PortaPotti that can be heavy when full, but it's easy enough to never fill it to the max. The fresh water tank doesn't need to be filled up at all, it is easily added to in situ with a water bottle if it runs dry. Of course, we have a filled squirt bottle always handy anyways to deal with any "Cling-ons off the starboard bowl" issues.

The lower tank can get heavy if you let it, but it's easy enough to do a quick dump every day or two to prevent that. And, in theory at least, you never have to lift both tanks at the same time, although separating the tanks in the tight confines of a Sprinter without contaminating anything can be tricky.

Quote:
The porta potti has it's own waste tank and is lighter, especially if I get the small one, but no wheels or handle.
The lower tank does have a handle. I (not very convincingly) pretend it's a briefcase when I'm carrying it into a restroom to "do some business".

Overall, I like the simplicity of it. It's self-contained, unpowered, and cheap enough to just replace if something goes bad.

That said, just being able to trash a sealed bag instead of having to do a thorough cleaning at the end of a trip does seem appealing.

Incidentally, you'll likely want to remove the toilet in order to have enough room to shower. That Laveo claims to be 26 pounds empty.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 AM   #16

A folding hand truck can aid in transporting the porta potti to be dumped, but won't help with the lifting issue.

-Mike
FloridaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #17

We carry a Turbo Toilet by Blackpine (). They fold up to a very compact size and are sturdy when set up. You might want to also carry something to elevate the unit; it is only 10 inches high. A folding step-stool works well. For liners we use "wag" bags (Double Doodie) from Walmart. A lightweight steering wheel cover makes the seat more comfortable.
Jim
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #18

Toilet

We have a SMB Sprinter which is now almost 5 years old. The 6 gallon bucket with seat works great if required but camp ground toilets and or gas stations work the best. No dumping of sewage required. Also a pee bucket for night time use. Price is right and makes life simple.....
sar3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #19
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolorun View Post
Getting close to starting my build. I will have an enclosed shower w/ toilet and need the lightest toilet possible as I cannot lift anything heavy. How heavy is a partially filled Thetford casette? Can the electric Leveo be installed in a wet shower? How many uses can 1 Leveo bag take without being exchanged? Theyre expensive! Other suggestions? Thanks!
I also built and enclosed shower in my van. I chose the simplest toilet choice: a Luggable Loo. It’s not for everyone, but uses no water and you just sprinkle some saw dust or peat moss over your business after you’re done using it. And even when 75% full (about the time you’d want to empty it), it is still so light and extremely simple to move around. And there is NO ODOR. Just a thought.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote