Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #21

Re: Why are 75% of all 4x4 SMB for sale - 2006, 6.0L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Awesome! He's so out of my league!

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #22

Ridge's input is very insightful. Didn't come off as gas vs diesel to me.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Ridge's input is very insightful. Didn't come off as gas vs diesel to me.
Maybe not, but the thread was why so many 2006 diesel vans are for sale. Although there was a hint that the 6.0 was the possible culprit, in IMO I don't think that is the case unless the people selling them feel the normal maintenance is too costly for a vehicle they rarely use. Who really knows if the sellers have had engine issues or not...we don't know! I’m not saying the 6.0 has been one of Fords great successes but there are a lot out there that don't have major on-going problems. I could never figure out why I've never had a turbo issue in the 100K miles I've put on my 6.0 PSD. All I used to hear was the turbo problems.

I think the link E350 posted in another thread is right on.
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com ... blems.html

My EGR was an issue somewhere around 20,000 miles because I'd let it idle for 15 minutes warming up every day and never used fuel additive. Since then... no problems.

I never had an oil cooler failure and never had a coolant filter installed. It’s being done now as part of the bullet proofing but for 100,000 miles... no problems.

I upgraded the FICM last year as part of my 100,000 mile bullet proofing but for 85,000 miles ... no problems.

The ICP & IPR were replaced at about 30,000 miles and it did result in a tow. The shop told me the new models were better. I do hope so but for the last 70,000 miles... no problems.

I lost an injector at about 25,000 miles before I was using fuel and oil additives. But for last 75,000 miles... no problems.

I had to replace the wire harness, but the shop told me they made some changes in the new harnesses and they shouldn’t be a problem in the future. Oh how I hope so! It’s an expensive fix. Time will tell but I got 88,000 out of it before it failed.

The HPOP? According to the article the thing wears out. Not good so like the oil cooler, I’ll change it but for 100,000 miles... no problems.

Never had any O-ring leaks but did have a small leak on the bed plate. I had it done under warranty but a lot of people just live with it. Since it was replaced…no problems.

No coolant leaks yet.

No cam sensor issues like I had with my 7.3 PSD.

I will admit that doing a 10 grand engine upgrade is over the top for some. But we didn’t do that to any of our 6.0’s at work and they went well over 200K miles. Sure there were problems but not really a whole lot more than the 7.3’s. BTW every Ford PSD I’ve driven has had an injector let loose. We had to get rid of the 7.3's & 6.0’s because of CARB so I’ll never know how far the 6.0 could have gone.
I totally agree that proper maintenance makes a difference. My guess is that fuel additives and oil additives can help with engine issues too or at least it seems that way for me. I do spend almost 190 for Amsoil & filters every 7K and fuel filters every other oil change. That alone is very expensive. After I replace the fuel pump, I won’t have to replace the under the hood fuel filter as often but have a different filter to deal with along with the coolant filter and that all adds up.

My last point… I don’t know how many people have told me I’m crazy spending the money on an SMB period when I can get a cheaper 4x4 and go into more extreme areas. Besides the common statements by those asking what is that thing or stuff like cool van, very often it’s followed up by “how much does that thing cost”? It’s only money.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
I would like to echo the following statements made by others:

"19-20mpg 7.3 smb? Myth."

and

"I'd say the longevity of any motor is FAR more dependent on proper maintenance, rather than what motor is. ...

Herb"
Bull...poop no matter what you do our 10,000 lbs rigs will never get 19-20 mpg!

Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Not too sure about that Buck. If I'm going down hill I'm gettin some great mileage.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #26

I would have to say exercise extreme caution if shopping for a 6.0. We purchased ours in May and put about 2,000 miles on it and it is now getting a complete rebuild. It has been in the shop since early June as we are now over two months wating for a front engine cover that Ford doesn't seem to think is important to keep available for their awesome engines.

We were the lucky recipients of the seller screwing us. If I were to do it again I would wait for a 7.3 or go gas.

Kelly
Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastover
If I were to do it again I would wait for a 7.3 or go gas.
I not only wanted to say sorry for your experience, but I would like to deepen the knowledge pool about my experience with the 7.3L PSD. But I have some heresy I need to get off my chest first.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote