Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #21

Re: WTB: Diesel SMB camper

Quote:

I bet he's contemplating contacting you and saying he'll take your offer.
I hope so. I think it's a real nice rig. I think I gave him a fair offer.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #22

http://redding.craigslist.org/rvs/4114121263.html

Just popped up.
Seems reasonably priced...
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #23

The '94 is most likely a 7.3 IDI, not a Powerstroke FWIW.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupaddler
http://redding.craigslist.org/rvs/4114121263.html

Just popped up.
Seems reasonably priced...

Thank you for looking out! 24k seems a little high to me. Once you put wheels, tires, bumpers, maintenance you looking at 35K which you could prob find a newer one with the bells/whistles.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Yeah, a 2000, high mileage SMB for close to $50K? Good luck with that.
So I'm new to SMB and used prices have me totally confused. I realize 10-15% below asking is probably a reasonable offer but how do yo determine if a rig with high mi and 9 or more years old is "worth" 50,000? I don't see any consistency in asking price, age of car or mi. Is there a guide or rule of thumb people use or do you just need to speck out the cost of all options, be mechanically knowledgeable so you know what upcoming issues? I saw there was an attempt at starting a thread on what people paid for but it looked like it become somewhat philosophical on whether it was right to post rather than actually posting.

Anyone have a tip or input on this for a newb trying to make a buying decision on their first SMB. Not with this one since it ended but with the "next" one?
taverre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by taverre
Quote:
So I'm new to SMB and used prices have me totally confused. I realize 10-15% below asking is probably a reasonable offer but how do yo determine if a rig with high mi and 9 or more years old is "worth" 50,000? I don't see any consistency in asking price, age of car or mi. Is there a guide or rule of thumb people use or do you just need to speck out the cost of all options, be mechanically knowledgeable so you know what upcoming issues? I saw there was an attempt at starting a thread on what people paid for but it looked like it become somewhat philosophical on whether it was right to post rather than actually posting.

Anyone have a tip or input on this for a newb trying to make a buying decision on their first SMB. Not with this one since it ended but with the "next" one?

I'm sort of in the same boat. Never owned a SMB but am finally in the market. I have however been researching these vans for the last 3-4 years and have seen just about every one that has been on the market over that time. Prices are all over the board. I do find that people will price high (retail value) to begin with then slowly lower their price over time until it sells. No surprise there. Sportsmobile.com keeps their sold van listings up for awhile after sale with price. That is a good judge of retail value for used models. You could assume the same models on the private market would sell for 10-15% less. That's my 2 cents. I hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #27

Oh and one nuance I forgot to mention. If the van is located in Denver it's always worth retail no matter what condition ; )
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #28

You look and you look and you look and you look, and you start to notice trends.

Leather seats are worth more than cloth.
A "50" can have as much as two fridges and a third captains chair plus all the appliances you can imagine, or be stripped to the point where there is not even a closet next to the bed.
A lot of value you cannot see immediately from pictures- SMB4x4 is more costly than Quigley, an Espar heater takes up less storage than a Suburban but they both pretty much look the same on the surface as not having a heater at all.
Electric PH is worth more, but not essential to everyone.
2wd hold their value way less than 4x4, to the point where it's often possible to put 4x4 on a 2wd for cheaper than the equivalent 4x4 model.
Nada is dead wrong. Like almost funny how wrong.

That's just off the top of my head. Then again I look at the SMBw used site and people slapping the cheapest 4x4 on and trying to double their money and I'm glad I'm not in the market...
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by taverre
Quote:

There's no wrong or right. If I feels right to you its all gravy. However, the more ads you look at the more you'll get a feel of price and the varying options.

FYI - 2003 7.3 eb50 smb 4x4, low mile (under 150k miles), sand color or whatever it's called, dark gray leather, dark wood interior, espar diesel water heater , e-poptop, with the Aluminess catalogue thrown at it is my unicorn.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
If I feels right to you its all gravy.
Exactly, I was sure I wanted an RB but this one green EB van kept me up at night... I realized it was the one when I kept worrying it might have been sold to someone else. The bad news is such things will empty the gravy boat pretty quick!