Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

WTB EB-50, 4x4

Hello - Been lurking these forums for a while and sponging up the copious amounts of information.

My wife & I are in the market for a SMB (the wife talked ME into it - yes, she's awesome). We're a couple of mountain bikers who camp/go on excursions around 10 to 20x per year (think weekends) & are interested in moving up from the dirt camping to an SMB.

I believe we're looking for the following:

- Penthouse top (I'm 6'3" & can't stand up in the voyager tops).

- 4x4 - We do go off-road, but mostly just to get there (and then pedal off from there). That being said, I could be talked into either quigley or SMB version, unless someone points to major reliability differences.

- V-10 - I've lurked the forums & read ALL the various posts about gas vs. diesel, etc. I could be convinced on the diesel (for the right van) but right now, I'm leaning towards the V-10. Why? We're not going to be towing/hauling & while the diesel is 'more reliable', I'm hearing that the V-10 is nicer to drive (we'll be driving one next weekend to confirm this).

- EB-50 - this looks like the ideal layout for us. I'm tall & want to be able to sleep on the bottom. Ideally the EB-50 layout would have the wider bed (without the side cabinets).

- Would love to have the following: Shower, upgraded bumpers & ladder, solar, and a pot of gold in it (yes, I know I'm dreaming).

We've got a budget of MAX 60k. Been looking at several on here & at sportsmobiles used forums, so I'm getting a good idea of what I can expect for the price.

So if you've got an SMB that fits this description & want to sell - let me know. If it's on here (or at SMBs site) - I've probably already seen it & am either talking to you about buying it, or have ruled it out. If you've got an opinion on why I should change what I'm looking for - lemme hear it!

Thanks everybody.

mtbjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #2

Re: WTB EB-50, 4x4

Have you checked the used vans for sale on the Sportsmobile site? There are a couple that seem to meet your requirements.

Also, you can get a 2wd van and have it converted to 4wd for ~$15K.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Give the Duramax a shot. You'll be surprised at how quiet it is. They are not plentiful used, but you might find one, especially in the 50 layout.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding an EB50 without the side cabinets, though. I could be wrong, but all the ones I've seen had them. If that's a need, you might end up needing to customize one or do the interior build-out yourself.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #4

Mike - yes- there are exactly TWO that I'm talking to from the Sportsmobile site. Been negotiating & checking them out..

Webbmac - would be totally willing to check out a GMC - if you know one - I'd love to check it out..

Thanks for the thoughts guys!!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

My EB-50 Quigley is still available. Follow the link in my signature if you haven't taken a look already. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

When it comes to gas vs diesel reliability, the V10 is the exception. Not only is it in the shop much less than the diesels, it lasts at least as long, if not longer.

And..... it has more towing power, at least below 5,000 ft. From there, the turbo starts to even things out.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #7

Well - we're still looking for our perfect SMB. We've scoured the intertubes for all SMBs that are close to our criteria (and budget - $40 - 50k - it went down a bit thanks to my stocks not doing so well ) and haven't found what we're looking for. Anybody want to part with their rig that HASN'T put it up yet?

Also - just curiously, what vintage of vehicle & mileage do you think we should expect for our budget? I understand that it depends greatly on the amenities included (solar, heaters, etc), but a rough idea would be helpful..

Thanks!