Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

WTB: Ford spare tire hoist parts

Did you “delete” your Ford under-van spare tire and the related hoist mechanism, and have the parts stashed in a box somewhere? I just noticed that my new 2002 E250 Traverse is missing the cable and likely a few other parts for the spare tire hoist setup. I’m looking for pretty much the full setup, I guess (minus the tire/wheel itself and the twisty knob thing inside the rear doors). Right now I can’t get the spare down so I’m not too keen to drive it any distance until I get this fixed.

Let me know how much you want for it, shipped to 19006. Thanks!

Sure, I can go source from a junkyard, but it’s cold outside and I’m lazy ;-)

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

I'm sure i could source that for you this week.
PM coming.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

If Rob doesn't find you one it's just 4 bolts holding it on and should be easy to find at any salvage yard. You'll have to get creative with a sawzall and get to the cable to cut yours down. I'm guessing it's seized from rust. I've seen this a couple times.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks guys!

It’s not seized - the cable that connects to the fixture by the bumper is totally missing. So yes, I assume I’ll have to cut down the current setup to get the wheel down. If the weather is ok to tomorrow I’m going to give that a shot.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #5

I have yet to "delete" it off my 1996 but have already installed a rear tire rack, so none of it is in use.. I can remove and ship it to ya if you haven't found a solution yet!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 PM   #6

I'm not sure I can picture how a wheel would be held under your van if you didn't have nearly all of the mechanism.

The cable doesn't go to the bumper. You remove the plate with the little plastic top screw and stick a long 3/8" square drive socket extension into the hole from the back bumper. Then you crank it down with whatever handle or ratchet you want. I carry one just for this reason.

Here's the Ford part:

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F65Z-170.../dp/B000O0I10W

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
If nothing pans out here try FleaBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-FORD-E250-ECONOLINE-VAN-8-Lug-Spare-Tire-Wheel-Hoist-Winch/123572890961?hash=item1cc584ad51:g:w9EAAOSwnLtcKoB z:rk:15f:0

You can also contact these guys: https://www.ebay.com/usr/wine-1wholesale I've bought a few of these from them, new take-offs they have laying around and never listed on FleaBay.

BTW when you re-install your new winch extend the cable fully, coat it with Fluid Film as its retracted--that should keep the rust away inside the winch case.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
I'm not sure I can picture how a wheel would be held under your van if you didn't have nearly all of the mechanism.

The cable doesn't go to the bumper. You remove the plate with the little plastic top screw and stick a long 3/8" square drive socket extension into the hole from the back bumper. Then you crank it down with whatever handle or ratchet you want.

Yeah, I had it wrong. My other van has the tire outside on the rear door so I wasn’t very familiar with the mechanism and how it works at first. After working on it for an hour or so yesterday, I finally got the wheel down. But the hoist mech has seen better days. I soaked it with PB Blaster overnight and will see if it’s working better this morning. I do have a line on a new one from a forum member.

I can’t imagine doing that whole process though on the side of the road and in the dark and rain (as Murphy’s Law would require) if I got a flat. For those who haven’t touched their spare in years, I’d suggest spending some time lowering it, lubricating the mechanism, and airing the tire up BEFORE you need to!