Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to windsurf555 Send a message via Yahoo to windsurf555
WTB - SMB Ford E350 4x4 with Windsurfing configuration :)

Aloha!

I know this is a long shot but wanted to throw it out to the community. I am in the market for a late model Ford E-350 SMB 4x4 with a Windsurfing Configuration inside.

Here is the link to the page on SMB site - there is a description of the Ultimate Windsurf Mobile.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_windsurfer.html

The floorplan that I think I like best is EB-201 which is at the bottom on the right. This is EB although I would prefer one with close to the same layout in the RB length.

Mahalo!
Lee
windsurf555@verizon.net
I am located in Southern California

Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #2

Re: WTB - SMB Ford E350 4x4 with Windsurfing configuration :)

I looked and looked and couldn't find an SMB with a windsurfing configuration, or even one that I could convert easily, so I ended up doing my own. It should be delivered in two weeks and once I have it in my possession, I will take lots of pictures and post them here for other windsurfers to get ideas from.

Good luck on your search!
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik
I looked and looked and couldn't find an SMB with a windsurfing configuration, or even one that I could convert easily, so I ended up doing my own. It should be delivered in two weeks and once I have it in my possession, I will take lots of pictures and post them here for other windsurfers to get ideas from.

Good luck on your search!
Thanks man! I can't wait to see the pictures of your SMB.

I have looked at and looked and test drove one RB-50 but obviously thewhole undertaking is not worth it unless it's setup perfectly forwindsurfing.

Where do you live? windsurf?

I would love to pick your brain on how you setup the inside. How long have you been waiting for yours?

Thanks!
Lee
windurf555@verizon.net
Old 08-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #4

No knowledge of vehicle/affiliation but I saw a 2008 E350 4x4 on the Sacramento, CA craigslist that isn't fully converted for $43K. Might be a decent option if you're looking to convert something
Good luck!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaralps
No knowledge of vehicle/affiliation but I saw a 2008 E350 4x4 on the Sacramento, CA craigslist that isn't fully converted for $43K. Might be a decent option if you're looking to convert something
Good luck!

Thanks man! I emailed the seller just now. Looks like a great base configuration.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf555
I have looked at and looked and test drove one RB-50 but obviously thewhole undertaking is not worth it unless it's setup perfectly forwindsurfing.

Where do you live? windsurf?

I would love to pick your brain on how you setup the inside. How long have you been waiting for yours?
I'm going to try to start another thread in the "Sportsmobile Builds" with my layout and a few details so it is easier to find for other windsurfers that are curious about the van. In a nutshell, it is very similar to the EB-200 that appears on the SMB webpage, but with an extra captains chair instead of the sink/cabinet...all inside a RB. I'll go a bit more into my logic for this in the other thread.

I'll try to get the layout scanned this afternoon and posted.

I recently relocated to South Florida, and the lack of wind here is what drove me to take the plunge and get the van. Here's the story:

I learned to windsurf in Puerto Rico, with pretty constant trade winds and often having waist to mast high waves. It was almost never hit or miss there- when you packed your car with one board and one sail, you knew you were going to windsurf- some days better than others, but never skunked. Two or three times a week, most weeks, an 87L board and 5.8M sail would get you planing.

When I came to S.FL, I thought I'd buy bigger gear and still would be able to sail two or three times a week. Reality was that the forecast is seldom right. I would throw a 90L & 6.0 on top of the car and it would be blowing 12kts, requiring a 126L & 8M. Once in a while, during a cold front, I'd need a 5.0 and small board and I'd find myself with a 6.3 and large board.

To say the least, it got frustrating. So, I started looking into a bigger car to carry all my stuff with me and never be stuck with the wrong gear. Then I got a Stand up paddleboard and realized it wouldn't fit in a normal car....so I started looking at full size vans... then it evolved into the idea of being able to road trip to better spots in North Carolina and Texas for a couple of weeks a year.

Over three years, I went from thinking of getting a station wagon to buying a 4WD SMB, the whole time putting windsurfing gear and SUPs on top of a MINI Cooper!

So about five or six months ago, my wife finally said "ok" and I started looking into designing and building the van.

The rest, as they say, is history, and we'll see how it turns out.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #7

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3358&p=28365#p28365

I got the layout uploaded.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

Thank everyone for your thoughts! I pretty much focusing on configuring a new SMB to my specifications but still wouldn't be apposed to buying a used one that is already configured.

Thought I would bump up this thread to see if anyone is looking to sell one.

I've got the cash! Any takers?

Aloha!
Lee