Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #21

I'm also looking for an alternative to Aluminess. Can't justify the expense.

Considering custom fabrication / modifying of other vehicles.

wild-kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #22

Just a thought about how I look at what we do to our vans -
Expenses are Oil, filters, tires, brakes, etc. - consumables.
Accessories- Aluminess, Fiamma, Pop Top, 4x4 conversions, winches, etc. -

if I find accessories used and pay a market rate for it, I can probably use it for two or more years sell it for near/more than what I paid for if I change my mind/needs. If I am careful with selecting what new items I buy, I will only realize an expense for what the depreciation is. I look at “parking” $900 of funds in a new Aluminess Tire Carrier as deploying cash to have something utilitarian and which I could sell for $650, or say even $500. I balance that with can I make it / or have something made for $250 or $400 that will do the job? How much time and what will it be worth when I finish using it? Will it be perceived as valuable by a buyer as I think it is?

Hope that makes sense. Basically, if you buy a well made known respected brand name product that has an established used market value, your “expense” is the difference between new and used value. Of course, if there are competing needs for the deployable dollars then that must be factored in.

Back to my coffee and trying to justify my next purchase
Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-kiwi View Post
I'm also looking for an alternative to Aluminess. Can't justify the expense.

Considering custom fabrication / modifying of other vehicles.

There are a lot of door mounted ones that are around $100-125. Sportsmobile puts those on a lot of vans. They work really well for standard sized spares. When you get to a big, heavy tire, they start making the door sag. The other alternative is a hitch mounted carrier, also about $150. But then you lose your hitch and can’t open the rear doors at all.

A used aluminess unit goes for between 300-500 which I think is pretty good for what you get. They aren’t perfect but they are very good. I’ve bought 3 used ones now. $350, 400 and $500.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #24

The door mounted ones are pretty brutal to the sheet metal of the door as they require drilling through.

Second - almost every single door mounted one I have seen has either or both a cracked tail light or the door is dented because the tire will typically not let the driver side rear door open a full 90 degrees. The cost of door / taillight repair will make you wish you sprang for the Aluminess.

And GrampsWRX you are 100% right about the larger size tire causing the door hinges to sag. Go with a hitch mount rear or front tire carrier before the “affixed to door” style.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #25

I’ve bought the aluminess ones to replace the door mounted ones. The first I bought because the door mounted one failed and destroyed the door. So I bought a door too. When I got a new van, I immediately bought the aluminess piece to avoid a replay of what I had just gone through.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #26

My 98 SMB has a door mounted carrier, on which is mounted the OEM size spare. 21 years so far and no issues with the door at all. I did crack the driver’s taillight once when I first bought the van, but redrilled the mounting holes to move the wheel slightly to the right and have had no problems for over six years now.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #27

I’ve got a Weldtec bumper ready for a swing to be built for it. I’m in San Diego, willing to let the bumper go for a deal as I’ve got a double swing bumper being built.

https://offerup.co/crvgACh1rW
Pilgyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #28

Sold the swing out to beeenthere! Picked up today. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #29

Grampswrx seems like you can find a unicorn !!!! I live in western Washington close to Olympia trying to find one used seems almost impossible up here . Put me on your radar
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #30

I’ll just start buying everything I see!

I just saw a whole van with a full aluminess rear bumper for sale for $5k. Had been in a front end accident and lost the aluminess front. Only bummer was it was in Alaska. Way to far out of reach.