Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

WTB: Transit 250, 148"WB, Low Roof, Cargo or SMB

4x4 would be a bonus (Quigley or Quadvan)

Sportsmobile conversion a bonus as well

Thanks!

JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #2

WTB: Transit 250, 148"WB, Low Roof

There aren't many used Transit Sportsmobiles on the market yet, and one with Quigley 4x4 would be exceedingly rare. And used Quigley Transits without conversion would be rare too.

You might see if Sportsmobile has a Transit that a buyer backed out of (it happens sometimes).

For best ways to buy Transits and tons of other info, see fordtransitusaforum.com.

And if you can't wait for the months of ordering a new Quigley Transit, it can be hard to find one on the lot but check out http://newbergford.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Garage
Newberg Ford has less than ideal employees but they do have a good stock of 4wd transits usually. Its unfortunate.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Newberg Ford has less than ideal employees but they do have a good stock of 4wd transits usually. Its unfortunate.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate Ford doesn't have a better dealer network. Walking into a Ford dealer is like going back in time, compared to a Toyota dealer.

I absolutely loathe the sales tactics at Damerow Ford. But they happen to keep a good stock of the high-trim turbo models, so we ended up buying 2 cars from them last year (my FoST and my sisters Explorer Sport).
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yes, used Transit SMBs seem hard to come by. I visited SMB’s Fresno location in August, and I was amazed that they seemed to be working on 20+ Sprinters (just a guess, I didn’t actually count) and only 1 Transit at that time. Their explanation was that SMB’s niche is 4WD and the lack of a factory 4WD option on the Transit means that the Transit is not the “go to” for SMB’s core customer.

I have nothing against the Sprinter, though I plan to use the vehicle for trips into Southern Baja, and there does not seem to be reliable availability of Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel in Baja, and perhaps none in Southern Baja. On top of that, folks tell me that driving into Baja with giant Mercedes logo on the front of your vehicle is going to attract trouble. I don’t know if that’s true, but I prefer to attract as little attention as possible—regardless of where I’m traveling.

As far as buying a Transit new, I may go that route. I am curious about the comment regarding “less than ideal” employees at Newberg. Can you please elaborate? I’m not fond of dealerships, so I’m wary about this option. Certainly, they do seem do some volume in Quigley/QuadVan transits, though. I had a phone conversation with Newberg, and they indicated that there was another high-volume dealer of 4WD Transits. Does anyone know who that would be?

The other option I’ve considered is getting an E350, but I am scared about the reliability of the 6.0L diesel. Did Ford eventually work out the problems with the 6.0L diesel? (And can they run on non-ULSD diesel?) Nowadays, I travel with my young kids, so getting stuck somewhere remote is something really, really want to avoid.

Oh, one last follow-up: how is the Toyota dealer network better than the Ford network? I presume you are talking about the sales side of things.

Thanks for your help guys! I appreciate the input!
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote