Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

WTB: very simple, garageable pop top van

Hi Gang,

I'm looking to buy a very simple, garageable pop top van, with a gas engine, one with not too much camperization done to the inside, but one that does have the pop up top.

I know that probably would have to be an older Dodge most likely. But maybe it could be an older GRTV van (recent one posted here has lift kit and won't work for me), or a Metris, etc.

Years ago I had just this van.....a very nice 2000 Dodge pop top with little done to the interior. I never should have sold it, so I guess I'm still looking to replace what I stupidly got rid of.

Thx for any help or referrals.

gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Garage
How minimal a build are you determined to get?
(Would "penthouse only" be enough for you? Or do you envision some degree of cabinets and perhaps a pull-out bed?)

It probably is (as you've indicated) easier to come across one that has, at least, the "minimum usual SMB equipment" installed though. (Propane/stove, 12V fridge and onboard sink/fresh/gray water.)

It does seem like a nice simple Dodge SMB (usually with not much more equipment than that) shows up for sale at least once a month.

What's your tentative budget?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #3

Thx for the response Mike,

Budget is towards the lower side, because I'm looking for something with mostly just the pop up, so the van shouldn't be that costly. Cost of course depends on how much the van's been camperized.

I live in a subdivision that doesn't allow me to park an "RV" in my driveway, which is what's pushing me towards a simpler, hopefully even garageable, rig.

So I'm trying to stay below $25k, and hoping to find something with mileage under 100k.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

There a 97 Dodge SMB w/66000 miles for $15,900 in Portland Craigslist. It's full camper but in your price range. Seems like a good deal, but Dodges seem to bring less. Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Thx, found it.

Pretty nice for its age.

Won't work for me though cause it's an extended body and wouldn't fit in garage.

(Anybody know why so many home builders refuse to build useable garages? Most all newer homes in mid price range have garages too short to even park a full size pickup in!)
Old 09-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #6

Same reason they build 3000 sq. ft. 2 story houses on a 4000 sq ft lot when people would rather have a large yard and less sq. ft. Banks loan on livable sq. ft. not lot or garage size = more profit to builders!

To be fair, full size pickups have grown a lot in the past 20 years while a "standard" garage hasn't changed. A 1995 Ford full size is about the size of a Toyota Tacoma today.

Sent you a PM gbail
BeastGTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Still looking....I have until about mid-December to find something, so please y'all, keep your eyes out for me.

I'm picking up a Provan Tiger (which I'll have to store offsite) and so I now can replace my very nice, lo mileage, 2003 Chevy Silverado HD3/4 Ton 4WD truck with my hoped for 'new' van (trades anyone?). Van will be my daily driver and my weekend camper.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0003.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

Garage
hey gbail ---
This garage-able penthouse-roof Dodge SMB....its seems to be what you've described you're looking for ---- and it just popped up (heh, penthouse roof....popped up....ok, sorry) ---

Clean, low-mile rig that's just on the upper end of your described price range.
No affiliation.

------------------------------------------------

2003 Sportsmobile Dodge , Penthouse Top, 2.8 Onan Class B - $28850 (San Juan Capistrano)

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...308901026.html
Super clean Dodge Ram Van Sports mobile , Extremely LOW MILEAGE 59,603. Has Starcool Rear AC, Electric plugs into canpgrounds or use Onan generator. Onan has only 238 hours. Clean 318 engine gets 20 + MPG highway. Has refrigerator (very cold ) , sink, stove , microwave, lot's of cabinets, center table with stand, window screens & shades, AM/FM & CB. Senior Owned / Garaged. Arizona / California Car, NO RUST !
Garageable only 6' 9" high, 18' long , 6.5 wide , great tires ( rear are 3 weeks old ), Top of the line shocks : Blistein front , HD overload rear. With Penthouse raised 6' 6" headroom, Large Penthouse bed , plus sofa pullout bed. Sleeps 3-4.
READY TO GO CAMPING !!

------------------------------------------------
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

Wow, thx Mike. This one could work if I could fit it into my budget.

Hey, are there any forum members who live nearby who'd want to take a look at this for me?

I'd definitely head over there except for the fact that my wife is having major surgery this week and I'm gonna be staying around the hospital and then our home to help her with this and her rehab.

Let me know gang!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #10

I was in the same type of fix about fours years back. I simply could not find what I wanted at the price I was looking to spend. I finally bought an SMB that I could not garage, about a year and a half back, and started enjoying it. I also had to up my budget considerably as well. I'm still getting some things added to it, and I do love it and look forward to a trip I had to postpone due to Hurricane Harvey, but I still yearn for something I can garage...and pass on to my son a little bit on down the road. So, as much as I like my SMB, I'll probably move it for another one next year.

Good luck in your hunt!!!!!!!

James
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote