Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #11

Re: 2000 dodge...good deal?

Rear lockers are simple: any ARB dealer can do one for you, provided the Dodge uses a common diff. There are several other options as well and I do think a full, on demand locker is far better than an LSD of whatever type. The older SMB's I looked at all seemed to have loose, wonky cabinets but nothing glue or screws couldn't fix. Appliances? Just test 'em. Good luck, I still think it looks like a nice van for the age.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Like this: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/2207794758.html

Leaves about 15K to build the interior you want.
Thinks for the tip. Unfortunately, it is a rb bed and no rear factory AC. We're in phx and gotta have the rear AC. Back to the dodge. I am really a novice to lifts and adding lockers and am wondering what kind of cost I might be looking at? I'd like to get some front and back sway bars added as well to help with stability. So it sounds like I should be able to find a shop in phx, but I am concerned that it may involve more fabrication and customization costs as places like Salem and Advanced won't even convert a dodge to 4x4.
Are rear lockers still beneficial for the conditions I listed above: snow, ice, mud, sand.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to Texas this Friday to check out the ride.

Many thanks,
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #13

There is a place in Tucson that did a bang up job on panion's van. Little 4x4 shop, all custom. I know it's a trip down there, but it might be worth it. Also remember the Dodge is a unibody and not as strong as the Ford, that's why (one reason anyway) there aren't a lot of Dodge 4x4 vans. I'm not saying anyone won't or can't, but you might be painting yourself into a corner if you already are having trouble finding a 4x4 converter.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #14

Thanks for the info on the Tucson shop. Any idea on the name? I'll try to message panion. Yea, I keep wondering if this is a bad road to start going down on. The fact that dodge doesn't even make full size vans anymore makes me think just finding everyday parts is going to be a hassle as well.
I just keep thinking this gets my family into a Sportsmobile for a price we can afford. It will give us a summer of camping and we can decide from there what our true needs are...
Thanks again,
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #15

Another option, you can get a "50" layout (more common) and add a 3rd captains chair. In the EB, it is very roomy and allows for 4 forward facing shoulder belts. I was in the same boat, really wanted the 4 chair layout for the rest of the family, we modified as above and have not looked back. Good luck on your search.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #16

The layout we really like is the RB21 setup. We would love to be able to stay away from an extended size van. Does anyone know anything about the tri-fold pallet beds Sportsmobile mentions that can go across the captains chairs to make additional sleeping areas?
Thanks, L.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Never seen one but was told that a small child can use it.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #18

I think you are really asking for headaches trying to squeeze 4x4 under the Dodge. As mentioned, it's a unibody, so frame strength is limited. Even more of an issue is the chassis shares nothing with the pickup, other than the engine and transmission. That means Frankenstein-ing the 4x4 pieces from various makes and models, and likely not from a Dodge pickup (there's no place to attach the Dodge control arms to for one, and I think the differential offset is not correct). I think you would have to build a sub-frame to attach leaf springs and use a solid axle. To get the all to fit, you will likely end up with a tall van, to allow space for the new sup-frame and solid axle. I suspect a 6" lift would be the minimum lift required. Even once you do that, it's pretty much impossible to strengthen the chassis, short of mounting the van on a new ladder frame.

I think in the long run, you would be much better off getting this and doing your own conversion. Most of the cost of the conversions is labor, so do that part yourself and you can save big.
http://www.quadvan.com/4x4-van-inven...412121e23ceecc

Here's another which already has interior trim and quad seats, rear AC:
http://portland.reachoo.com/ads/120167883
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #19

Interesting topic. There where a couple of SWB 4x4 Dodge vans for sale on ebay last year, both around $8k. Low, low miles and vgc from the looks of them. They were from a fleet built up by a 4x4 conversion company in Oregon (I think) for the California telephone company. Came with a generator, tool boxes, roof racks etc. Basic work vans. They were not jacked up as much as six inches and did have a full, low range transfer case 4x4.

I almost bought one but the seller screwed up on getting the right papers from the auction house on Cal and I didn't want to hassle getting it fixed. Plus SMB told me they left the Dodge PH mold out in the weather and basically destroyed it so they cannot do the tops for those vans anymore. The point is that a 4x4 conversion can be done and it should not be too hard to figure out who did all those vans and how.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #20

SalemKroger used to do the Dodge vans, but they won't do them now.

QuadVan is the only 4x4 convertor in Oregon I'm aware of, and they only do Ford.