Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #11

Re: 220 California State Parks to close.

It is an appalling list I must say. There does seem to be at least two omissions though: Oceano Dunes SVRA and Hollister Hills SVRA. I like going to Hollister, but how can they justify closing a world class gem like Point Lobos, but keep noisy, polluting places like the SVRAs open? How powerful are the off-road machine lobbies anyway? That's a rhetorical question. In Utah, I know, they are enormously well funded and thus very powerful.

Tom

Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo
It is an appalling list I must say. There does seem to be at least two omissions though: Oceano Dunes SVRA and Hollister Hills SVRA. I like going to Hollister, but how can they justify closing a world class gem like Point Lobos, but keep noisy, polluting places like the SVRAs open? How powerful are the off-road machine lobbies anyway? That's a rhetorical question. In Utah, I know, they are enormously well funded and thus very powerful.

Tom
Just read on an other forum where they want to turn 9 million acres into designated wilderness areas, including the entire area around Moab, Utah. They were voting on it today I believe. Moab would turn into a ghost town, as almost everything there is trail user related.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo

Tom
Just read on an other forum where they want to turn 9 million acres into designated wilderness areas, including the entire area around Moab, Utah. They were voting on it today I believe. Moab would turn into a ghost town, as almost everything there is trail user related.
Read the same thing, and responded to my politicians via the following link.

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert ... d=14061961

BTW, the House bill was introduced by a representative from New York. Nothing against NY, but why would a NY politician proposed a bill that concerns itself only with Utah?

Herb
Old 10-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #14

I wonder if that means the cattle ranchers will have to find somewhere else for their herds. We just got back from a trip through Colorado and Utah and we were appalled to find that the National Forests in those states seemed to be used primarily for Cattle grazing. We camped in La Sal National forest and were not able to find a campsite that was littered with cow @#$%. The environmentalists always complain about the damage and erosion problems cause by off road vehicles but I can only imagine pale in comparison to the damage cause by several hundred thousand head of cattle. My guess is the cattle will still be there even if we aren't.

My solution for California's parks, legalize MJ, tax the @#$% out of it, let everyone who is in jail for MJ possession and petty distribution out and presto enough money for the parks and a nice raise for all of the Senators.

John
Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

John I would rather share it with cattle than have it cut off to the 4x4 world. The enviro's are looking for any reason to keep us (everbody) out. Once they push the cattlemen out all they have to get rid of is the hunters. My guess is we will be next. Here they like to close it off to traffic or pave the trails. I'd rather step in cow $#!^ than stepping on asphalt! Welcome to California thinking.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #16

We know only to well how that works. Up here in Western Washington every year more and more land gets shut off to the public. Up here we share our National Forrest with loggers and they are not allowed to cut within a certain distance of streams and lakes which is where we usually like to camp. Unfortunately, the Forrest service blocks off boondock campsite near streams and lakes to protect the fish and wildlife so every year there are less and less options for camping.

John