Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #21

$2.09 per gallon here in frozen west -central Montana. I'm not sure whether diesel comes in solid or liquid form at these subzero temps we have been having for the last three weeks.

I started up our Sporty for the first time in a couple of weeks and braved the ice covered roads just to make sure it all still worked. It took a half hour of driving on Interstate 15 to get the engine temps up to normal, around 175 degrees F according to the ScanGauge. Man, does the engine sound rough when you start it up after so much cold weather and no exercise.

On startup at about +5 degrees F, the Hella Tire Pressure alarm went off for the driver's side rear tire at 49lbs pressure. I pumped it up at the service station to 55lbs and drove for about an hour with no further problems.

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
From Austin to Glendale I saw a lot of Diesel around $2.18, but a lot well above that too.

The best I saw was down around $2.01, and I did not see anything below $2.

Looking back at our mileage log, the most we paid was $4.659 back in June 2008. It is certainly nice to be paying less than half of what we were just 6 months ago.

AND on top of that we had our two best mileage tanks on this trip :
15.5mpg on 593 miles
15.4mpg on 280 miles
and our best sequence of 4 tanks with these two:
14.8mpg on 318 miles
14.2mpg on 499 miles

...and we do have one final fill to make yet...
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #23

$2.09 in St. George, Utah and in Bakersfield, CA last week,...I paid $5.29 a gallon when I filled up my Mercedes this summer when I ran out of WVO. As much as l like cheap fuel for the consumer I feel kind of guilty because I know at this price there is less incentive to develop alternative fuels...But hopefully that will "change" with the new administration...We'll see.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I am with you VH...

When I am driving the Prius or the Insight I wish the price of fuel would stay high and drive changes that would get some more electric vehicles made like our electric truck.....

BUT, when I am driving McBeast I hope for lower fuel costs.

So to reconcile these two things, I too have to hope that somewhere, somehow, something will happen to drive the change without the fuel prices going high.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #25

The boat I was in when I was only driving the Benz was this:

When I first converted the Benz to WVO 3 years ago veggie oil was everywhere and I had no problem working out a deal with restaurants to pick it up. Diesel was at around $2.25 around then and I had this great feeling of energy independence...Then all of a sudden when diesel shot up to $4 or $5 bucks a gallon there is this big "green" movement where everybody wants to use alternative fuels, most namely SVO because it was "free." Well, if you are stealing it from a restaurant that has worked out an agreement to give it to someone else, yeah, I guess it was free for a lot of people. Anyway, WVO is limited to a niche market and is not the answer to energy independence. That being said, I'm still toying with the idea of converting the SMB to veggie...