Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #21

Try to use what ever is already there.

No burning of plastic or aluminum foil or glass or meta cans. if burning food out of cans the cans are removed after "cleaning". Only things left in fire pit are ashes.

Now (last two years) only use fat wood to start fires. Easier to store then liquids.
Build up fire pit when windy.

Either one of us will start camp fire with equal "skill".

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
AT, can you post the video? That sounds pretty dang cool.
Here is what I found on the YouTubes:

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #23

part a: Teepee till it falls, then it is a free for all.

part b: no pit

part c: low ring, although now I am going to try the "smokeless" ring

part d: I have a small BioLite Stove that kicks off a decent flame to satiate the fire gods.

part e: I tell my wife and son I am the fire master, and make sure that we never camp with someone who is better at building fires, as to not ruin the illusion!

part f: Find one at the site, use as is, and break it up and throw it in the fire at the end of the night.

part g: Nope

part h: Try old school methods, fail miserabley, then watch RallyPanam squirt lighter fluid on the smoldering mess of a fire and sit humbled.

part I: Plastic, although I have seen it burned and man the colors it kicks off!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #24

Garage
gcvt, now that's a fire! for some reason our vids wont load onto photobucket.

crazy about those videos too. our pit from last weekend ended up being almost identical to that design purely by accident. I built up the back to try and bounce heat back to us and the opposite side of that pit the rocks were suck into the dirt, so it was wide open more or less and really only had rocks on the sides. however, it did not keep smoke out of our faces... in fact, it was damn near one of the worst for getting smoke in our face to date. then again, the wind was changing directions every 30 seconds. up river, then down ricer the entre weekend. will try that design next time we are a little more wind free and see how it treats us.

eric, im a huge b&b fan, uh hu hu hu. and you know, he isn't allowed to say fire after the first few seasons right?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
gcvt, now that's a fire!
Thanks, haha. That was our annual Thanksgiving weekend in the Sierra, a couple of years ago, when it rained every single second. It took a good long while to get that fire going, but I ended up in just a t-shirt it was so hot

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #26

A friend sent me a link to a burn cage that looks like it could work as a portable fire pit. Not sure if it would harm the area underneath but it looks to have a floor. Anyone used one? They do store flat so with a suitable bag it could be an alternative to a Pit-2-Go? The small looks to be the way to go for a van.

https://www.blazetower.com/collectio...nt=39473892038

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
A friend sent me a link to a burn cage that looks like it could work as a portable fire pit. Not sure if it would harm the area underneath but it looks to have a floor. Anyone used one? They do store flat so with a suitable bag it could be an alternative to a Pit-2-Go? The small looks to be the way to go for a van.

https://www.blazetower.com/collectio...nt=39473892038

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That seems like a nice setup. I like my Pit-2-go but hardly pack it anymore due its size and weight plus with so many fire restrictions in place during the warmer seasons, I've just been using a propane fire pit. The "blaze-burn cage" would be of interest to me. I didn't see the packed size, but it looks smaller than the Pit-2-go. It's nice to have something that produces a low environmental impact when allowed to build ground fires.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #28
CSG

No campfires anymore. I want to enjoy the night sky and be at one with the dark.

Used to do campfires all the time but most of the places I go, they're unsafe and I had to carry water just to be sure they were extinguished. That was a waste (carrying water just for that purpose) in my view. I get why people have fires and I sat around many over the decades but as I'm never camped for more than a night in one spot, it's simply not something that interests me. I'd rather set up my telescope and look at the heavens.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #29

I used to carry much kindling and curly-ques of wood shaved off with a wood plane to start my fires. Now I just build a log cabin fire and put a few thin pieces cut off of campfire logs with my ax. In the very center at the bottom I put one of my home-made fire starters. Light the fire starter with a lighter or match and in no time at all I have a nice fire going. I make my fire starters in the winter time from old paper egg cartons, shredded paper from my local bank, and melted wax from old candles that I collect or purchase cheap at garage sales.

Here are four of them.

Mike & Nancy

The Cookie Monster
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

After inhaling the smoke from 600,000+ acres of fires in the last 20 years, I'm not much for campfires anymore. Somehow the smoke heads straight to our place regardless of whether the fire is east or west of us. Here's the first one in our neighborhood this year. It's pretty small (only 1700 acres in two days); much better than the last big fire season when one wildfire lit 40,000 acres overnight,

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote