Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #1

A tire sidewall cut (not SMB-related at all)

This is not at all an SMB question, but I'm asking it here because this is a site I implicitly trust to give me a "No B.S." opinion. It also may be of marginal interest to other members, too, as it is a tire question.

My wife was driving her BMW 3-series the other day and hit something sharp and pointy with the left rear tire. She was on her winter tires, with about 17.5K miles on them. I had to rescue her by bringing a 4-way wrench and one of her summer tire/wheels.

Got her home safely, and then tested the damaged tire. It has a cut just outside the tread area that lets out air almost as fast as my compressor could put air in it. I figure it's wasted, as I would assess it as a sidewall cut.

So here's the question: Do I have to buy 2 new tires to fix the one damaged tire, or can I just buy 1 replacement?

I figure the other three good tires have about 50% of their tread left. If I get just 1 new tire, is there going to excessive wear on the rear differential by having tires with a difference in circumference if I mount the mis-matched tires on the rear?

I was thinking of getting one new tire, and putting the new tire and one old tire on the front, I would keep the equally worn tires on the rear because the car is rear-wheel-drive.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:56 AM   #2

You can purchase just 1 tire. If you drive enough on the winter tires to rotate them you will end up with 1 new and 1 50% tire on the front which could make the car pull. I would purchase 2 and install them on the front.
If the tires rot before tread life expires then I would only purchase 1 and install it on the rear.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Another thought if snow tires may be to get 2 new tires on the drive wheels if not X-drive and spare is new. I personally don't favor a situation where 1 tire is new and others are worn.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

My suggestion is two new tires on the drive wheels. They will give you equal depth of traction in the snow.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:21 AM   #5

Is it AWD?
Then replace as many as you can afford because the transfer case will thank you (long term).
If its either RWD OR 2WD then replace in pairs.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote