Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #21

Re: Alternate vehicle suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
Also - and I know this doesn't compare to what I've mentioned - but I have a strange fascination with the Subaru Crosstrek XV.
----
I feel like I could almost flat tow the little Subey, even though my van weights close to 9000 pounds full and has a 5.4 V8. Do you think I'd be pushing it?

Paul
I'm not a fan of the Crosstek, just because it feels a little cheap, and doesn't get great fuel economy for its size. But.... It proved itself on I-5's crumbing infrastructure.

And I don't think you would have any trouble towing it with your van. I've towed a lot more with the 5.4L.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #22

There's something goofy about the Crosstrek. I'm not deluding myself into thinking it's any kind of offroad vehicle, but it might be perfect for the city. I also have a friend who says he'd buy it from me if I ever wanted to ditch it.

The other thing I was considering was the new Cherokee Trailhawk - I know, it's strange looking and seems a bit too software-based - but the reviews are great. Unfortunately, it's also a bit pricier and I'm already trying to cut costs.

As for mileage cap on an XJ, I'd be thrilled to find one under 75K, but I think this will all be a moot question by mid-week, so no need on the links, although I do appreciate the offer. I love the idea of towing whatever behind me for certain types of trips.

Paul
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #23

Just use the space to start collecting parts for your next van build!
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #24

Cherokee Trailhawk, just checked it out on Google Images since I had never heard of it. What a cool little ute! With the oversize wheels and aggressive tires it looks much less 'girly' than ever other small SUV these days. Looks even better muddy!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #25
Site Team

Not cheap, and frankly a little goofy looking, but I saw that you can get a Ford Flex AWD with EcoBoost. Nice combination IMO.

Herb
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #26

Love that Flex. Unfortunately, it's about 10 grand more than what I'm looking at. I consider the Flex a classic and will one day maybe wish I had bought one. Just cannot.

As for the Trailhawk, I still like it, but I have read a few horror stories of mystery problems and, combined with it's super reliance on software for critical functions, I'd give it a pass for the first year or two, until they work out the bugs.

I still miss my old Grand Wagoneer.

Paul
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #27

I just sold a 325xi wagon .... 2004 with 102,xxx they gave me $7,ooo........ It will hold all you need ..... so will the Subaru legacy also a great wagon ..... I had an o7 traveled 2500 mile with two adults a 90lb lab and a 10 yr old..... plus gear with a cargo box up top......... both 20-25mpg and very capable in frozen wet weather....... good luck and choose wisely.
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #28

Simples.

Example with airbags being deflated for parking in garage.

Example with airbags inflated for off road ;

The bonus is that apparently this things come with a set of ladies too, I hope the ladies don't also come with stuff....
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
I feel like I could almost flat tow the little Subey, even though my van weights close to 9000 pounds full and has a 5.4 V8. Do you think I'd be pushing it?
No, you'd be PULLING it . Sorry.

I've got a 5.4, several hundred pounds below yours, but I've towed a spec miata on a trailer all over the place to tracks. And I had a Chevy Tracker that I flat towed all over the west before I sold it. I had probably lightened it a bit, but it towed fine. I did notice going up some grades that I was slower, but BFD. I didn't have trailer brakes on it either, and it worked out. Even got similar gas mileage; the big hit is the aerodynamics anyway.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPaddle
Simples.

Example with airbags being deflated for parking in garage.

Example with airbags inflated for off road ;

The bonus is that apparently this things come with a set of ladies too, I hope the ladies don't also come with stuff....
I saw the airbags in the second pic, but they weren't very nice ones.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote