Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Alternate vehicle suggestions

I got a space in my building. Good news, except the van won't fit. Too tall. Which means I cannot afford to keep the van in the city. Not a bad thing. I'm going to park it in New Jersey for a lot less money. A lot less. My plan is to get another vehicle - for my newfound space - and use it around town and as a dinghy to get to the van.

So, my question here is, what are suggestions for a reliable, inexpensive car? A few scenarios: I could get something used, preferably for 5 to 8 grand, max, and hope that it's reliable. I had half though about an old Isuzu Trooper, a few of which I have found on ebay cheap with relatively low miles.

In an ideal world, I'd get a Chevy Shorty G20 van or an Astro AWD with low miles, but they don't seem to exist anymore.

I have even looked at Subarus. I'd love any input and experience from the great collective SMB brain if possible. Thanks.

Paul

Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Re: Alternate vehicle suggestions

I know you're in NYC, but I saw some lifted AWD Astros in the San Francisco craigslist. You could get an older land cruiser in that price range as well, but I guess it depends on how big of a vehicle you want.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Hardly exciting, but if you want inexpensive and reliable, I think you need to go with a recent, front wheel drive sedan. Looks for a lease return which should mean it was properly maintained.

Herb
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I had a Subaru Forester AWD for a very long time. Very nice and dependable vehicle. Roomy and plenty if clearance on fire roads. Drove it for over 200k . Good luck .

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

I'm on my fifth Subaru. Never a problem. Older ones can be had cheap and are very reliable.

I also had Isuzu Troopers for 20 years, starting in 1989. Four of them. Finally traded my 1991 Trooper on a Subaru under the cash for clunkers. Wanted to keep it, but the frame was rusted. I loved that thing. Basic, but indestructible and really good off road, even stock. If you can find an old one that's not rusted it would be a fun vehicle to have. The 4cyl models even get ok gas mileage. I loved the old square body style. Not too keen on the newer ones, as they were too luxury'd-out. An Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport would be a good option, and can be found pretty cheap. Bonus is that you can still get parts from Honda, even though Isuzu pulled out of the US with their cars/light trucks.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #6

Honda Element? Super reliable and fuel efficient. Deceptively roomy.

Astro vans were never all that reliable, and I can't imagine they've gotten better with age. I think I'd take an older Toyota Previa over a newer Astro. Plus the Previa's have the need side-folding rear bench. You could even get them with a SuperCharger, a manual transmission, or AWD! Not sure which of those items you could get together. Not all three I'm pretty sure.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

All good ideas, and grist for the mill. I got kind of down tonight at the idea of maintaing two vehicles while living in the city. Wondering if I shouldn't just put my energies into getting out West first. The whole idea of feeling as though I have to take this spot in my building simply because it finally opened up. It strikes me as nuts. Then again, I can try to sleep on it over the weekend. It would be nice to have a small vehicle so I don't have to keep subjecting the Quadvan to NYC's deadly roads.

I'm going to google around a while. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

When I saw your 1st post, I wondered why anyone would want a car in Manhattan. I didn't reply because I thought it was off topic and none of my business but now that you bring it up...

My only knowledge of NYC comes from TV, but it was my impression that virtually everyone uses public transportation. The rich use a car service; the middle class call a taxi; and the peons ride the bus/subway.

If it was my life, I'd lease out the parking space, buy a Metro card, save up some money, blow off my job and head west.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

Trust me, if I could lease the space, I would, but I cannot. I'll probably pass on it, although I was just mulling a nice little 4x4 Ranger I saw on Craigslist.

Still, it's always a good time to save money.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #10

Late model BMW 3 series AWD (325xi), or a Subie. Sorry, I'm BMW biased, but wouldn't own a newer one.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote