Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Site Team

Always an adventure

So, needed to head up to SMBw to have my two failed Marine solar panels replaced with one Kyocera solar panel. Decided I'd drive up Sunday to Millerton Lake and camp, and drive to SMBw early Monday morning. Prepaid for an RV spot with hookups.

First hint of trouble to come: connected to shore power Saturday afternoon so I could pre-cool the fridge. 24hrs later, the Norcold was never-cold. Broke out the 12V portable fridge.

Spotted a tan SMB on Highway 99 about 15 miles north of Bakersfield at 2:00pm (Aluminess bumper, tire carrier, large storage box) and Thule racks just as it was pulling off the highway.

Make great time driving towards Millerton. Probably could have made it in less than 4.5 hours from Ventura to Millerton. Stopped for fuel on Highway 41, no fire wood for sale unfortunately. About 4-5 miles after turning off Hiway 41, I was about to pass a truck and trailer and started accelerating. Decided I wasn't in any rush so let off the accelerator and suddenly noticed the engine had cut completely out. Coasted to the side of the road. Luckily it was a nice stretch of straight road with a decent shoulder. The engine cranked, but didn't start. After about 1 minute, a California Highway Patrol showed up to see if I needed help. He stuck around while I checked fuses, fuel cutoff switch, kicked the tires, cussed a little.

Chassis battery voltage 12.1V
House battery voltage 12.1V

Gave up after about 1/2 hours, and called GoodSam Emergency Response. Let them know what I was driving, including the approximate weight and length. They said it would be between 1-1.5 hours before they would be able to get a tow truck to show. I told the CHP officer he was welcome to leave. He called my location in to dispatch to have them check back later that day to make sure I had been taken care of. Nice guy and great support.

Here's the most impressive tow truck I've seen, let alone been towed by.

Got me towed to Freedom Ford in Fresno about 8:00pm. Dropped the SMB at the front gate, and then the driver was nice enough to drop me off at a hotel across the freeway about 1 mile away. Days Inn was OK, but the room smelled like old smoke.

Walked over to Freedom Ford Monday morning, took care of paperwork, hitched a ride with their shuttle driver to the local Avis (not very close). The local Avis system wouldn't permit a one-way rental, so the guy called the Avis at Fresno airport. They could rent me a one-way rental but neither the local Avis or the airport Avis had a shuttle service. The local Avis guy was cool in that he then transferred the airport Avis rental reservation to his own location and was then able to rent to me.

Stopped by SMBw to talk to Peter, explained the situation. Peter said they'd be able to pick up the van from Freedom Ford when they were done, and then do the solar panel work and check out my SMB fridge. Good customer service.

Here some pics of Alan Feld's latest showcase van. Notice the worklights are LED-based.

No word from Freedom Ford yet on the problem. I did notice a sign on their wall that they have 5 diesel techs with over 10 years experience, 3 with 5 years experience, and 1-2 with 3 years experience.

Herb

Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #2

Re: Always an adventure

Wonder if it's the dreaded high pressure oil pump (HPOP)?
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Wonder if it's the dreaded high pressure oil pump (HPOP)?
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Yeah, time will tell.

FWIW, no error codes reported with my ScanGuage.

Herb
Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #4

I had a similar problem on my '08 6.0L this summer in Utah. It never died, so I creeped into Richfield and the Ford dealer replaced the fuel pump (and the filters). It's run fine since. I hope your's is as simple.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdarst
I had a similar problem on my '08 6.0L this summer in Utah. It never died, so I creeped into Richfield and the Ford dealer replaced the fuel pump (and the filters). It's run fine since. I hope your's is as simple.
I hope so to, but it shouldn't be the fuel filters since they were replaced just a few hundred miles ago.

Herb
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #6

Bummer Herb. I hate it when I have engine problems on the road. Let us know what happens with your van.

At least it happened in/near civilization. Kind of makes you leary of boondocking, doesn't it?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #7

Heck Bronco Hauler, it was probably worth it just to see that gigantic tow truck show up!

You should have seen the little one that showed up in my driveway just before my Colorado Plateau trip when my starter batteries were fried. The driver appeared frightened of the size of the SMB.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Sounds similar.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2101&hilit=icp+sensor

That sucks Herb. It happened on my B-Day. Made my day....and more!

Hey if you're around, meet us up at Edison. It's a great excuse for work...you're not the boss are you?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Site Team

I should also state that Good Sam Roadside assistance was very good. They called back after the projected tow truck arrival time to make sure that they showed up when they were supposed to, and actually offered to have me towed to an RV park for the night, and then to Freedom Ford the next day. I opted-out of that offer, since I didn't want the hassle of getting set up in an RV park (especially with that behemoth tow truck) only to have to be towed again the next morning. Regardless though, it was nice to know they would do that.

Couldn't have been a cheap tow with that rig, and the fact it was probably a 45 minute tow, but I'll never know since it didn't cost me more than I had spent on the membership. I do have AAA for my other vehicles, but I would like to compare Good Sam with AAA's RV roadside assistance coverage.

Herb
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Hey if you're around, meet us up at Edison. It's a great excuse for work...you're not the boss are you?
I wish I could. Just got back from the East Coast Friday, and before the plane had finished taxing to the gate, I already had a "request" to set up another meeting back on the East Coast for this week. I'm off to LAX first thing in the morning.

BTW, I heard Fresno is supposed to get a few inches of rain, and that the mountains might get a fair amount of snow. Brings lots of warm clothes, and maybe some snow chains. We don't need an SMB-Donner party.

Herb