Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

Re: Another Boring Work Related Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I am surprised that you found any kind of hole to squeeze into at that time of day. Glad you did it safely.

Larrie

Sometimes you just have to make your own hole in traffic. Merging off of the left shoulder/emergency lane into the hammer lane during rush hour traffic was a tad tricky. I got as much speed as I could running in the ememgency lane then just took the lane to get back on the freeway.

Under normal circumstances there is a lane change move I call the "trailer fake" that works almost every time. If I need to change lanes and there aren't any holes in the traffic I'll put my turn signal on and start to drift in the direction I need to change lanes. I make sure to stay in my lane but between the turn signal and the large white box headed in their direction someone almost always notices and lets me in. It may take a couple of trailer fakes to find someone kind enough to let me in. I always toss a thank you wave to the driver that lets me in.

A favorite trucker saying of mine that originated with one of my fellow drivers is.

"You see my turn signal? I'm not askin!"
I've done that many times. I'm sure people who haven't driven a truck think it's a jerk thing to do. Well your average car is in the neighborhood of 20 ft long. Add 50 ft. Then try merging! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #12

Another Boring Work Related Story

When I learned to drive I was taught to let the trucks have the right of way. Also to flash my lights to let them know they were past and could pull in front of me. A wave is also appreciated.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
When I learned to drive I was taught to let the trucks have the right of way. Also to flash my lights to let them know they were past and could pull in front of me. A wave is also appreciated.
Thanks Larrie! We appreciate it. Oh, I do always wave or say thanks BTW, I don't just take it for granted.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
"You see my turn signal? I'm not askin!"
That actually works pretty well with a Sportsmobile, too.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Sometimes it pays to wear your seat belt!

Attached Thumbnails
montpellier feeder 7 relay 003.jpg   montpellier feeder 7 relay 004.jpg   montpellier feeder 7 relay 005a.jpg   montpellier feeder 7 relay 006.jpg   montpellier feeder 7 relay 011.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #16

Garage

daveb, do you work for a utility company?
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Yep, I just got back from that job an hour ago. The guy got off the side of the road and over corrected rolling that vehicle through the pole. It's something a Sportsmobile can do very easily. I'll bet Gnarvan knows when you get off the side of the shoulder you don't try to get back on the road...just slow down and merge back on at a low speed. It was over before he knew it. Thankfully he was belted in...Not a scratch! The stupid thing he did was to crawl out. The feeder line closes automatically 3 times before locking open and he just got clear before the 12Kv was energized. Very lucky guy. The burn marks on his vehicle and the sand melted into glass told the story.
What always seems to hit me was how I hear about members disabling their seat belt alarms. I always buckle up when driving on roads. Sure there might be places where a seat belt is not advised but overall, I've been to too many wrecks to convince me to always wear one.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #18

Around here its usually regular "going to fast" rollovers.

[img]http://media.kval.com/images/320*180/Y+Truck+Wreck+036.JPG[/img]

Sometimes it happens for other reasons. This excavator went on its side when he tried to hug the shoulder to allow for more passing room.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #19

Garage

Back before I got stuck in a wheelchair I worked in sub stations. It was an awesome job. I loved it. Anyway there was an interruption scheduled and several crews went to work on one of three 138Kv banks. A supervisor who missed the clearance briefing thought he would help. He grabbed a can of LDL and proceeded to climb on the motor mec for the switch gear to lub the joints. The problem was that he climbed the wrong bank! It was the bank to the left that was safe. The 138Kv grabbed him and held him as he was standing up. Only the quick thinking and fast actions of someone that saw him start climbing up was he saved. The crewman grabbed a 2x4 and with a homerun swing knocked the supervisor off the gear. Then with the help of others did CPR till paramedics arrived. The supervisor suffered burns to 70% of his body. He returned to work 1 year later (in the office only). Amazing!!

Electricity is some scary stuff that needs to be respected. Now if the general public could be taught that. Glad the driver was alwright.

Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
The crewman grabbed a 2x4 and with a homerun swing knocked the supervisor off...
Over the years, I've had the mis-fortune to work for a couple of different guys that desperately needed this Rx...

I have to hand it to anyone who has the skill and patience to drive large equipment for a living. I have a duck hunting buddy who drive fuel trucks for a living... cool as a cucumber when he's behind the wheel.