Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #31

Re: Another Boring Work Related Story

Damnit Jim........dead on the side of the road again. Engine derated and then shut down. Not gonna be something simple like a flat tire. I'm guessing the engine ECU just took a steaming dive.

My dispatcher just called and advised me the company CarringB works for is sending a tow to drag me all the way to Portland. Glad I can send a fellow forum user the business. I'm also glad I'm not picking up the tab for this one. Gonna be spendy. 185 miles towing a tractor-trailer is gonna cost some large $$$$$$$$.

On the bright side I get paid by the minute so I'm in no rush. I just started a new book so I've got lots to read.

Updates to this boring work related story to follow.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #32

Darn.....it wasn't CarringB's company after all. They ended up sending a tow truck down from Portland.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #33
Site Team

Since we're doing electrical work stories, here's one of mine. I worked for Ohio Power at a coal fired plant along the Ohio River. The yard crew was doing maintenance at one of the switching substations on the property. As a safety precaution extra grounding cables are attached to whatever metal framing they are working near in case of a live contact. At the end of the job they started removing the extra grounding cables. One of the linemen removed the ground end before removing the frame end. Then he became the path to ground. A moment's carelessness. There was no short circuit or dropped live wire, just static charge buildup but it was enough to kill him.

As it was explained to us later, the heart is like a 4-cycle engine. Depending which cycle the heart is in when you receive the shock can make a big difference if it kills you or not. So two people can receive the same amount of current but it might kill one and just injure the other.

I wasn't one myself but just so you know, lineman have one of the toughest and most dangerous jobs there is.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #34

Another Boring Work Related Story

On a lighter note, we topped off the fuel oil tanks that serve the cogeneration plant a couple of weeks ago. They took 50,000 gallons of number 2 diesel. Total cost was $167,500.

The diesel is used as a backup fuel in case the university is asked to curtail our gas usage. We have about 90,000 of diesel storage.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
Damnit Jim........dead on the side of the road again. Engine derated and then shut down. Not gonna be something simple like a flat tire. I'm guessing the engine ECU just took a steaming dive.

My dispatcher just called and advised me the company CarringB works for is sending a tow to drag me all the way to Portland. Glad I can send a fellow forum user the business. I'm also glad I'm not picking up the tab for this one. Gonna be spendy. 185 miles towing a tractor-trailer is gonna cost some large $$$$$$$$.

On the bright side I get paid by the minute so I'm in no rush. I just started a new book so I've got lots to read.

Updates to this boring work related story to follow.
Hey John, at least it isn’t your van while on the way to vacation! But stranded still sucks… does it have a standalone heater that can keep you warm??? I know some of you guys have Espar type heaters. Dammit Jim??? You reading a Star Trek book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Since we're doing electrical work stories, here's one of mine. I worked for Ohio Power at a coal fired plant along the Ohio River. The yard crew was doing maintenance at one of the switching substations on the property. As a safety precaution extra grounding cables are attached to whatever metal framing they are working near in case of a live contact. At the end of the job they started removing the extra grounding cables. One of the linemen removed the ground end before removing the frame end. Then he became the path to ground. A moment's carelessness. There was no short circuit or dropped live wire, just static charge buildup but it was enough to kill him.
Crap Dave, that’s more than a boring day at work, that’s just sad. Yes it doesn’t take much to have a major malfunction. We were working a 12 kV 800 amp distribution bay and found we needed some parts that we didn't have so rather than take the outage, we sent for the warehouse to deliver the correct item. The Manager didn't want us sitting on our ass not doing anything and told us to complete the bay that was scheduled for repair the next day. But they didn't have a switching log procedure made up and decided to wing it. I had the control room open the breaker, then I took the breaker out of service...I thought. I killed one side but the other side stayed hot and I didn't check the opposite bus which was being backed out of another station I had a 5' hot stick with a 4/0 ground that I grounded to the station bus... in a substation the bus work is quite low, you can reach up and touch it.
When it cross phased, the ball of fire began to expand larger and larger. I didn't want to throw the shotgun because it will pull the arc further and all I was waiting for was the ground relays to trip the station. That took about 30 seconds, probably the longest 30 seconds of my life. The station puts out just under 14,000 amps and it didn't like what I was doing to it. The ball of fire I was in was over 30 feet in diameter and could be heard over 10 miles away. I've seen some plasma blasts before but this one was very strange... saw melting metals that made orbs the size of baseballs bouncing around me...very weird. It burned off most of my exposed hair and my shirt shredded. I took out about 40,000 people and two substations Yes I got the blame even though the substation foreman told me it was dead and ready to be grounded. The rule is the person doing the grounding is supposed to ALWAYS check it dead
At least it didn't kill me

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
On a lighter note, we topped off the fuel oil tanks that serve the cogeneration plant a couple of weeks ago. They took 50,000 gallons of number 2 diesel. Total cost was $167,500.

The diesel is used as a backup fuel in case the university is asked to curtail our gas usage. We have about 90,000 of diesel storage.
Larrie, how would you like to be stuck near a plant like this during a fuel delivery?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #36

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Crap Dave, that’s more than a boring day at work, that’s just sad. Yes it doesn’t take much to have a major malfunction. We were working a 12 kV 800 amp distribution bay and found we needed some parts that we didn't have so rather than take the outage, we sent for the warehouse to deliver the correct item. The Manager didn't want us sitting on our ass not doing anything and told us to complete the bay that was scheduled for repair the next day. But they didn't have a switching log procedure made up and decided to wing it. I had the control room open the breaker, then I took the breaker out of service...I thought. I killed one side but the other side stayed hot and I didn't check the opposite bus which was being backed out of another station I had a 5' hot stick with a 4/0 ground that I grounded to the station bus... in a substation the bus work is quite low, you can reach up and touch it.
When it cross phased, the ball of fire began to expand larger and larger. I didn't want to throw the shotgun because it will pull the arc further and all I was waiting for was the ground relays to trip the station. That took about 30 seconds, probably the longest 30 seconds of my life. The station puts out just under 14,000 amps and it didn't like what I was doing to it. The ball of fire I was in was over 30 feet in diameter and could be heard over 10 miles away. I've seen some plasma blasts before but this one was very strange... saw melting metals that made orbs the size of baseballs bouncing around me...very weird. It burned off most of my exposed hair and my shirt shredded. I took out about 40,000 people and two substations Yes I got the blame even though the substation foreman told me it was dead and ready to be grounded. The rule is the person doing the grounding is supposed to ALWAYS check it dead
At least it didn't kill me
Wow, the two stories are scary. Daveb, I take my hat off and salute you for being clear headed and realize the only thing to do to save your own life. Othe than checking first. I can't imagin what it was like nor would I. Better to inconvenience 40000 than one death.

On the lighter side of the horrors of grounding electricity you can have a little fun with it. The next time that you are in a sub station that's running say 240 kV or up try this. As you with experience know there can be a considerable amount of induction in the air around the bus. For those of you who don't know induction is static. There is nothing like taking your wrench and holding it within 2" of the back of your co-worker's ear. There is nothing like a good static SNAP! (DISCLAIMER: Only to be tried by experienced personnel)
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #37

Nothing nearly as exciting as grounding myself to report. It took 5 hours for me to get back to Portland. It was starting to get a little cold. Outside air temp was 30 degrees and without the engine running there is no heat. I always have a blanket or two stashed so it wasn't bad. I just lounged around reading a Star Wars book.

I'm glad Dave caught the Star Trek thing. It's one of my go to sayings and not everyone gets it. Although I started saying damnit Jim before Captain Kirk did since my brothers name is Jim.

You folks who play with electricity have lots of respect from me. I know just enough about it to have a healthy fear.

I was a little surprised when the tow truck driver said they only charge one way for the tow. That made it around 90 miles at somewhere between $700-$900. He wasn't that involved with the billing end so he wasn't real sure about the cost.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #38
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
I'm glad Dave caught the Star Trek thing. It's one of my go to sayings and not everyone gets it. Although I started saying damnit Jim before Captain Kirk did since my brothers name is Jim.
Ha...same around my old school clan. Are we showing our age here? I suppose you were also saying "I'm a driver, not a mechanic" as well?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #39

Ouch.....I guess I had that one backwards. It's a Bones saying not a Captain Kirk saying.

I prefer to use the saying "I break em, you fix em". "Look at me and see job security."

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
When it cross phased, the ball of fire began to expand larger and larger. I didn't want to throw the shotgun because it will pull the arc further and all I was waiting for was the ground relays to trip the station. That took about 30 seconds, probably the longest 30 seconds of my life.
Damn!!! Don't know that I'd have the sense of mind to just stand still.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote