Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Another nail in the off roading coffin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
And, if Darwinism rears it's head, maybe it is just weeding out the gene pool.

Mike

Yowza, Mike, that took guts to say, but I think that every day. Nearly every minute. What a shame that such an incredible percentage of humans on this planet are just P F Stupid. Their numbers are so large, they can actually determine public and political policy. Seriously scary.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
And, if Darwinism rears it's head, maybe it is just weeding out the gene pool.

Mike

Yowza, Mike, that took guts to say, but I think that every day. Nearly every minute. What a shame that such an incredible percentage of humans on this planet are just P F Stupid. Their numbers are so large, they can actually determine public and political policy. Seriously scary.
And they get to vote!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #13

Garage

One of my favorites:
Quote:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin
Old 08-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #14

Well, if they were all as smart as us there wouldn't be enough SMB's to go around.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
There's a tremendous difference between the type of activity that caused that unfortunate accident and what we do or at least what I do with my SMB. Regulating off road racing events for safety's sake is a fine idea. It has nothing at all to do with the off road trails and camping activities that I do. It has nothing to do with access issues or protecting sensitive areas. It has nothing to do with the peaceful and sane activities that most of us enjoy.

Could have something to do with a budweiser infused bloodstream.

Maybe I’m a bit skeptical, but just because I have a protective view on the environment doesn’t mean it will shield me from the nutz that lump us all together as those drivers in the video. It doesn't matter even if you actually have an electric car you use every day going to and from work. Out on the trail, the wacko's see a big ass van as something that does not belong. It's the extremists that pass the torch to those voters that are not off road enthusiast which vote us out of the backcountry. I’m not so worried about the Darwinized spectators, I’m worried about those George Carlin voters who THINK they are smarter than the average bear. Yes there are some questionable hobbies out there but in most cases everybody should have a place to enjoy their pastime even if it is a privilege and not a right. Sure safety and the environment need to be weighed in, but the problem is many times media + politics / junk science = loss of privileges given to you by the Carlin voters. Welcome to California.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #16

I'm what most would consider an avid off-roader, and would gladly toss events like this under the bus to preserve what limited access to public land remains.

In the real world, public opinion matters. Tragic events like this give the entire off-road 'community' a huge image problem, and for good reason. In addition, no question that each fatality in this incident will produce a lawsuit against both the race promoter and the BLM for failing to provide a safe buffer zone for spectators.

I want public lands and trails to remain open for motorized recreational use. Events where spectators stand 5-10 feet away from off-road trucks moving at high speed are in my view, dumb, and a liability.

R