Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #1

Backcountry Snowmobiling?

Is anyone into backcountry snowmobiling? I grew up in Minnesota, literally was almost raised on snowmobiles. Hundreds of miles on them before the age of 5 then thousands more!
Now I live in Arizona and I miss my first passion something fierce. We do have some winter in some parts but not enough to make snowmobiling big out here. We ride dirt bikes and its fun and all, but just not the same. Looking for info and maybe some sledding friends. Will need to rent everything for awhile, but the biggest help I need is simply needing good folks to ride with and where to ride. Snowmobiling in the back country is a must in pairs, avalanche beacon does no good if someone isn't with you to help. LOL
So....who rides? Who might be looking to include one more? I would love to get back into snowmobiling and hopefully get my own kids and wife into it one day as well, but right now I need to get my sled legs back.
TraceyAZ

Old 02-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

I do, come on up, your more than welcome to join but I'm guessing your looking to ride a little closer to you like Utah.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

gnty I do appreciate the invite and yes It would be amazing to sled in Canada. But ya I would have to at least keep it in the US. If that changes I will give a shout!
Thank you.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 AM   #4

Again probably too far but I ride in Tug Hill NY as often as I can. We have 6 Ski-doos up at a cabin there and we almost always have one sitting with nobody to ride it. Been getting hammered with snow this year too ! Totally understand your need to get back on a sled though- ain't nothin like it !https://instagram.com/p/BP3aTiKjKGx/

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

Thank you Stillvanin! Looks like some great snow! I was hoping to be able to drive with in a few states or so, but I do appreciate the offer! Thank you.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

Here in Colorado yup

@dinglespeeder on Instagram for more
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

Simplesez thats what I'm after! Being unfamiliar with any of the trails or area in general I would be hesitant to simply just take off on my own, not to mention a safety concern.
What sleds are you running? Whats the best track length and in general is a bigger cc engine worth it? I see a lot of 600 cc machines up for sale and can't help but think they want something with more power. 2.5 or 3.0 lug length? Machines have come along way from the days I rode but I rode the daylights out of what we had and set the bar more often than not with my friends and family during those days. Hill climbs, big jumps and in general the stuff that starts with "here hold my beer".....LOL
I know snow conditions and riding levels can dictate a lot of what I just asked and I see myself one day with a sled that I would be traveling to the right snow for but any insight you want to share would be appreciated.
Thank you
Tracey
Old 02-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #8

800cc 154" 2.5" paddle gets me well off trail. I get stuck more others in my crew but I'm still on a learning curve in trees.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

Good to know! Is there one brand sled over the other that stands out good or bad? Any certain years to stay away from?
Thank you
Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #10

There are really only 4 brands anymore and they are all good. Buying older than 2008 or so will be way out of modern spec. 2 stoke and 4 stoke are completely different engine characteristics. Just like on motorcycles