Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #11

Re: Baja Safety.....

Hijole Scatter

Voy al Baja Pronto

Con mi Esposa y mi perro y Wilson

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #12

[quote=scatter]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
If the cautions suggested described any area in the US, would you go there....
Nope, that's why I stay away from most of SoCal. Places like Compton, Bellflower, Culver City, Torrance, etc. scare the hell out of me. Course that means I miss out on Dizzyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by "j.whitbread":2twoi8pq
Mexico isn't going anywhere. What's the rush.
Yup, doubt Mexico is going anywhere, but it sure is changing. Just as an example, the nice, sleeply road (well, maybe a little bumpy ) down the east side is really getting ruined in a hurry. Here's a couple of photos from a few days ago.

These will be large concrete bridges with full two lanes and the whole mess is paved. The adventure and fun of going to Baja will be lost forever. Still will have its neat places, but never to be the same. Sure won't need a Sportsmobile, just head south in your Mini Winnie.

Went out in the boat yesterday....

Petty soon there will be boats all over. Long will be gone the days of being the only boat on the pond.

If you're not comfortable, stay home, but me thinks you're missing some of the greatest camping available. I've been going down here for almost 40 years and living here a large portion of the year and never had a problem. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You stay safe j.whitbread[/quote:2twoi8pq]

Where on the east coast is this construction going on? How far south?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer
Where on the east coast is this construction going on? How far south?
I believe he's talking about the road south from Puertecitos. They were also working on replacing it when I was down there last year. Moving slowly. That rugged country will change quite a bit when the dirt road is completely replaced.

Photos from Jan 2009 at (30.3040,-114.6510):

-- Geoff
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #14

Yeah, Geoff has it. Those construction photos are south of Puertecitos. The road is paved for ten miles and then they run you over and around the construction work. They are going like crazy and are using good equipment. Pretty much Stateside stuff. Kinda surpriseing after what we're used to seeing down here. They are really serious on this east side road after so many years of talking about it. Good water, gas and diesel at Rancho Grande (right by Alfonsina's). See Geoff's travel photos for good shots of the area.

Hope to see ya billwilson!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #15

Hey Scatter, what is the situation with Americans buying property down there? Used to be you couldnt, but I thought they changed the laws a couple of years ago. It would be nice to get in before all the development makes it down there.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #16

I'm not the best one to ask on this SMBDAD as I lease. It was a much better deal for me as I know the Mexican family. But, to answer your question, yes it is possible to purchase land in Mexico now. The only way I would do it is to get a Mexican lawyer, have him line it out and also go thru a Mexcan bank for all the money stuff. You can probably get better info by googleing the question.
You're right, prices are going up here. Faster then in the States. Still pretty cheap to have a place right on the beach though.
Come on down and try it!!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #17

How Foreigners can Lease or Own Land in Mexico

Although foreigners may lease and own real estate and other properties in Mexico, there are several guidelines.

Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution grants Mexican ownership of the land and water within its territory and stipulates that Mexico shall oversee the transfer of ownership rights to individuals, by creating private property.

Land Ownership Rights of Foreigners in Mexico

Although Section I of this article grants the right to acquire the dominion of land and water only to Mexican individuals and companies, it also gives the State the power to grant the same right to foreigners, subject to the condition that these foreigners agree before the Ministry of Foreign Relations to consider themselves as Mexican nationals with respect to their ownership of the real estate, etc. If the covenant is breached, all rights to such property shall revert to the Nation.

Where Foreigners Can Own Land in Mexico

Foreign individuals and companies may directly own land in Mexico, except in the restricted zone. The restricted zone is described by Article 27 of the Constitution as "lands or waters within a zone of one hundred kilometers along the borders and of fifty kilometers along the beaches of the country." Land in this zone must be acquired through a trust fund established for fifty years. In this kind of trust fund the bank retains the property title but the foreigner is the beneficiary and may use and enjoy such premises and may sell or even inherit the rights to it. The bank, however, must be notified of and approve all operations regarding the property.

A foreigner may acquire rights over real estate in Mexican coastal and border zones through a trust, called Fideicomiso, which is a legal instrument similar to those in the United States.

Through this trust, real estate is administered by a qualified and licensed bank on behalf of the beneficiary of the trust (the owner). The legal effect of the trust allows the beneficiary to act as the owner of the real estate, and thus, the trust complies with Mexican laws.

The beneficiary has the right to the full use, enjoyment and profit from the real estate. The beneficiary can rent the property, borrow against the property, and sell the property.

Mexican law provides that the original trust term of 50 years may be renewed for additional 50-year periods upon written request by the beneficiary of the trust.

When the beneficiary desires, the property may be sold outright or sold subject to an assumption of the existing trust. All proceeds belong to the beneficiary of the trust subject to paying all appropriate taxes.

Land Ownership Rights of Foreign Companies in Mexico

Mexican companies with 100% foreign capital may own property directly in the "restricted zone" for non-residential purposes. There are other restrictions to be aware of when acquiring property for agricultural and forestry purposes. Foreign companies may not own property for these purposes and foreigners must observe the land size limitations.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote