Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Baja Voodoo

Hi, I saw this Baja Voodoo companies add on Denver Craig’s list. I am wondering if any of our members have experience with their products. I asked them a question and they got right back to me and they seem to have a nice operation. Thanks for your input.

Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #2

DO NOT BUY from Baja Voodoo

Quite simply put, DO NOT BUY FROM BAJA VOODOO. These racks are made extremely poorly, rust quickly and often do not install the way they are supposed to. On top of that the customer service is terrible. See my story below.

I ordered a rack for my 2017 Ford Transit conversion. I ordered it for all the same reasons that everyone else did - it was cheap, looked nice, was local to SoCal.

First and foremost the delivery was an issue - they cancelled on me multiple times, showed up hours late when they did eventually dope it off. I was happy to let all this slide though, just excited to be a getting a good rack for my rig. They also asked me for gas money upon arriving with my rack, which I felt was rather odd.

The second set of problems that I encountered with the rack was when I was installing it. I was told when I ordered the rack that it was made for my make/model but when I installed it the way they instructed me to the rack did not perfectly line up with where the mounting brackets were so I was unable to used one set of the mounting brackets and full lock them in.

The other issue I encountered while installing it was that the hardware they had given me was mismatched and incomplete. Some bolts meant to do the same thing were different lengths, some were the wrong threading etc. I ended up having to go to the hardware store to replace some parts.

All that being said, I got the rack installed relatively satisfactorily, it was a little smaller than I wanted but it worked. Fast forward a couple months of having it on the van and I start to encounter real problems.

The workmanship on the rack was terrible. Every single weld on the rack had started to rust out within a couple months. They were rusting out so much that they were actually making rust stains on the top of the van. The "powder coating" was a joke. It was spray can bed liner at best. See all the pictures.

Unfortunately my knowledge of racks, welds and craftsmanship were relatively limited at the time, otherwise I may have been able to spot these issues sooner. Anyhow, I started calling Baja Voodoo and complaining about the issues with my rack. I could never get through to them on the phone so I started texting. They would rarely respond. I had to be follow up over and over again before I would get a response.

Eventually they agreed to take the rack back but I would have to drive it from Los Angeles to Calexico, CA. Almost a 5 hour drive.

On the day I drove it to Calexico, I met the owner of Baja Voodoo at his house and he helped me unload the rack into his garage. When it came time for him to give me the money back he said that he didn't have it and that he would write a check. Having read what others had written online about trying to get their money back by this time I refused and said we needed to figure out how to make the money transfer happen then and there.

We drove to two different banks so he could withdraw money. He kept saying that the withdrawal limit for the day had been reached. We tried every option possible. Eventually I got him to give me half the money back in cash and he promised to send the rest the next day when the bank was open.

Thank my lucky stars the money did come through the next day and I was able to walkaway without taking too heavy of a loss, aside for my time and gas money.

To anyone considering buying from Baja Voodoo for any kind of rack for your van or other OFV, I highly recommend that you DO NOT BUY from them.

I went ahead and ordered an AluRack a month or two later and have been absolutely thrilled with the results I have gotten from it. They also have great customer service!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1320.jpg   IMG_2934.jpg   IMG_8752.jpg   IMG_9752.jpg   56711107685__59D31BEE-4F52-4CD4-A1D0-F7D647E2BB7E.jpg  

IMG_0943.jpg  
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja voodoo, roof rack