Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Bear vs Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I wouldn't think frying bacon inside the van is a good idea
I would say that probably goes for everywhere and not just in Yosemite, unless you really like bacon. We eat fish but not beef, chicken or pork, and most of our meals are pasta or heating up pre-made stuff. With some care it sounds like we should be okay.

I'll look into Tamarack Flat, but we really do want to make that hike to Yosemite Falls again. It has been almost ten years since we have been there. If it turns out to be too crowded, we will find someplace else. Our plans for that week are pretty loose.

Steve in L.A.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #12

I think those bears were curious, not hungry.

Bear vs. Cooler, my money is on a Yosemite black bear!

Once got a free campsite in Yosemite from some folks who paid for a week and left after two days. When a bear went into their tent to get the bacon that was inside a cooler in the tent the wife insisted on going home.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

They used to have, may still, pictures up in the campsites in Yosemite of the top of a car door peeled back about 2 feet so the bear could get to the cooler. I'd put my money on the bear anytime.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Well i must say that living here Jackson Hole and having camped every where in Yellowstone I would have to say that The Bears here I not going to rip into your Van for food. The main reason of course is that some yo yo is going to leave his in a tent and not in a bear box Most camp site here have bear boxes for people to use.

The biggest problem is this year several bears have had very large litters (4 cubs) thats almost unheard of.

Dont get me wrong there alot of Bears here and they are really active this year with the snow being so deep up high. Your food will be safe in your fridge-dont dump your dirty water in your campsite and you will be fine.

"Carry Bear Spray" if you have never used it buy one just to test so you know what to expect.
All so ask the rangers if there have been any bears around they will tell you they know them well they are all taged and numbered.

One more thing
I hate bears they scare the poop out of me. It is the one fight im pretty sure I can win.

Have Fun

Ron