Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Site Team

Bear vs Cooler

Was doing some online fridge shopping and found this promotional video for Engel coolers.

[youtube:1fnejggv]. $649.99 + 3.89 shipping from Amazon via Big Frog Mountain.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Bear vs Cooler

Cute but, I've seen plenty of ice chests being destroyed by bears and those were probably trained bears. The times I've actually watched the bears attempting to get in, they take a swipe at it and knock it for 20 feet or so. I'm not saying there aren't some tough ice chests out there but they better be able to take a baseball bat hit, cause da bears can hit just as hard. I mean look how heavy a bear box has to be
Still it's nice to own a well made ice chest, just make sure it's stored properly in bear territory.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

The best bear proof product is a CLEAN campsite with everything put away.

Was at a Smoky Mountain campground a few years back where they had a bad bear problem for years. The solution was REQUIRING the campers to keep their campsites clean of trash and food left overs. Also only having food out for meals and putting it all away when done. Similar to the aggressive enforcement that is done in Yellowstone NP. Now they no longer have a bear problem.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Similar to the aggressive enforcement that is done in Yellowstone NP. Now they no longer have a bear problem.
A ranger at Yellowstone described it to me this way. "A fed bear, is a dead bear."

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
A ranger at Yellowstone described it to me this way. "A fed bear, is a dead bear."
How true.

I think the big problem is that your bear experience is very dependent on how the people who were there BEFORE you came behaved. I do find it hard to believe how people turn their brains off when they see these "cute" wild animals.

The Green TARDIS
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I use the same precautions in Yellowstone as I do in Yosemite about keeping clean camp but still the bears in Yosemite roll through on a regular basis depending where you're camped. Some spots are so bad the even if you lock an empty ice chest in your vehicle, if the bear sees it, more than likely you'll end up with body damage...they know what evey model ice chest out there looks like. If I have no choice but to lock it in my vehicle, I cover it up with something.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

Garage

So I have a question. When I had the VW I carried our food in a cooler and putting the cooler in the bear locker was a no brainer. Now I have an SMB with a fridge and can finally leave the cooler at home. What do I do with our food now when we go to Yosemite? We are planning to go to Yosemite Creek campground in the last week of July and stay there for several days. Having to haul a cooler with enough ice would be a problem, though to be fair, not as much of a problem as bears tearing the van open.

Steve in L.A.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I wouldn't think frying beacon inside the van is a good idea but very few RV's have had problems. Normal food storage seems to be OK. Not saying it can't happen but I don't worry and I'm up there on a regular basis. Cooking pasta and stuff like that inside is fine. If your really paranoid you can sprinkle fine pepper powder around they really avoid that. I just keep my eyes peeled while cooking outside and don't set up a huge kitchen. Cook then clean it up and store it. Around the fire I keep the beer chest out close to me but stow it in the bear box before nite. As for my BBQ, I just leave the top off. Usually they just lick it or sniff it. Rangers can be kind of bothered if trash is left out...could result in a fine. Even a coon can make a mess out of trash. At night I've had bears follow right behind me and stare as I open the locker...that'll make you jump when you turn around...just close it and walk away if it happens. It seems like they are waiting for you to feed them just like a dog. Amazing how quiet they can be.

BTW Yosemite creek CG is nice but you might want to look at Tamarack Flat. I've found you're able to find more secluded spots there and if you can get # 45??? in Porcupine that's a great site as well but your not close to the top of Yosemite falls, a highlite of Yosemite Creek. Maybe I'll see you up there.
Dave

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
At night I've had bears follow right behind me and stare as I open the locker...that'll make you jump when you turn around.
Yikes!

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #10

We were always very careful when we used to canoe camp. Checked with park staff about the area we were going into for any problems. One reply we got once has always stuck with me.

A couple had their tent destroyed by a bear(s) in the area we were going. It had been raining so they cooked a breakfast of bacon and eggs inside their tent. Went out for the day and came back to destroyed tent. Daaaa.

At best they 'helped' move a bear one step closer to becoming a "camp bear". Specially if they also left food in their tent with the bacon scent.

Father-in-law once saw an Airstream trailer with huge hole in its side at a gas stop in Canada. Also many claw marks on the trailer side.

The Green TARDIS