Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #11

Member dig255 will do a fly and drive. Depends on his schedule though but I would go that route if it will work for the both of you. I had him drive a van for me and it worked out great.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
I agree with Herb have some one drive it out and fly back much easier and safer process and it's gonna cost about the same...

One thing about transport brokers they all know each other and are linked via the net... then they play the price game and will change it up on you. First quoting a low price then then change game happens and price goes up. Seriously they are not to be trusted and a total pain in the ass.. we shipped a van from Cali last year and it was a joke...

I would have rather driven it back myself... YMMV.
I had the same experience. I'll never ship a vehicle like that again. They started with an acceptable price, then raised it a few days later because of the van dimensions which they had known since day 1. They missed several pickup dates where I was afraid to get more than 15 minutes from home thinking a driver would be calling to pickup the van. They later raised the price some more to get a driver to come get it. The driver was going to pick it up in the afternoon, then the evening, then early the next morning, then finally picked it up about 11am the next day.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #13

I’ve got a friend who has transported several vans for me across the country.. he only charges expenses. Reliable, communicative, likes road trips. PM if you’re interested in his contact info.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I agree with what’s been said so far, there are just a few too many horror stories involving those shipping brokers and our rigs. If you’re unable to drive it out yourself, find a friend or someone here on the forum to take it out.
I had a car transported from Jersey I bought sight unseen from a dealership years ago and the shipping transaction went relatively well through Uship, but there’s no way I would consider transporting my van, especially in its fully outfitted state through one of those brokers.
Have you considered having a UJoint kit sent to you and installed out here? (Assuming that’s who you’re talking about). Have you checked out Boulder off Road for something a bit closer to home for your conversion? They do good work, just built me a FF rear and they’ve done a bunch of stuff up front.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. Super useful and appreciated!

To answer your questions... The reason I was (am) considering shipping is that I have very limited free time. For the 3-4 days of driving and flying back, the prices I've seen quoted are a better deal than my cost of taking time off. The fact I get to meet the installer firsthand is something I hadn't really considered, however. Maybe I'll end up driving it after all.

As for Boulder Offroad, I tried visiting their shop last year and they were closed when I visited. That's OK. People deserve time off, so I followed up with two phone calls and left messages. They never returned the calls.

I've learned to trust my intuition when it comes to these things and with this level of investment, I want it done right the first time.

Why didn't they return my calls? Who knows... Maybe they were busy and don't need any further business. Or maybe they had a bad receptionist or otherwise bad systems for followup. Other scenarios are also possible, but however I slice it, it's a red flag.

p.s. One of their customers (and my personal friend) passed my name and number along to them to followup. They never called for that either.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #16

Ok, I just read that whole thread about McNutt. What an awful experience. Saving the wear and tear is one reason to ship. I can't imagine what it would feel like to learn the van had actually been driven. Yuck.

Driving it myself is starting to look like the best option.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #17

Hello
I have transported several vans for members here and always up for a road trip.
Just pay air fare and gas. I have even picked up a van from U-Joint.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 AM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
For the 3-4 days of driving and flying back, the prices I've seen quoted are a better deal than my cost of taking time off.
And there’s the catch, or more like bait and switch. As it’s been pointed out, these shippers often dangle a very enticing or at least reasonable offer, once accepted we have learned the price often gets hiked up along with delay’s or even bribery tactics for you to even see your property delivered at all. Not to say there’s not honest shippers out there, just hard to weed out the bad when often these things get contracted out to the lowest bidder.
Anyway, sorry to drag this on.....not making excuses and it sucks they didn’t get back to you after calls and a prod from your friend and current customer, but I just want to point out BOR is a 2 person operation, no receptionist(unless you consider Kelly, Dons wife who’s sometimes there).
Best form of communication is through email, specific questions on a specific rig wanting specific work done, I receive responses from Don usually within 24. These small operations can’t take or return the daily phone calls from inquiring customers asking this or that, having long drawn out conversations that often don’t end up going anywhere or bring in paying customers. You’ll notice Chris at UJoint has pointed out he’s had to take his shop number off the website, can’t field the calls.
Good luck with whatever direction you end up going, UJoint is a fine choice and has a good reputation, but as you’ve found, logistically difficult to get to.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:09 AM   #19

Garage
dig255 has transported several vans and posted above. I'm not working these days and while I do have responsibilities/commitments, I would do a drive for a member for airfare and gas as well, schedule depending of course.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I second that motion.
Hi. I also second the Get a Driver Option & return Flight.
When I transfered my vehicle from Ebay purchase, Missouri, to Advanced 4WD Systems, Salt Lake City, UT, to Sportsmobile West, Fresno, California, to Schumacher Cargo Logistics, Container Shipper, Gadena, LA, CA, to Eagle Automotive, New Zealand, then shipped to Fremantle, Western Australia, all the US transfers were by vehicle driver. No damage whatsoever! All done from my laptop in Perth, Westsrn Australia.
Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote