Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Birders?

Are there any birders on the list? I just started to get into birding and was wondering if anyone uses their SMB as a base camp for birding adventures? If you have what are your favorite spots?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Birders?

We haven't used the SMB yet but look forward to it. Favorite spots depends totally on where you live or want to go. In the SW, southern AZ is a hotspot for neotropicals visiting north in the summer. The Bosque del Apache in NM is a major wintering ground and has plenty of summer residents. Almost any flyway (i.e., long N/S river) has visitors in migratory seasons. We look forward to visiting the lower Rio Grande soon but don't have firm plans.

Do you have specific areas on mind?

Don

-------
Fresno's 1st 2012 Ford van.

RB E350 6.8L V-10 4WD w/Front Air Lockers
PH Top, Kyocera solar with Zamp portable unit

(If we'd bought the winch, we'd make a fortune pulling cars out of the snow.)

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Re: Birders?

I go birding everyday Gnarvan! Usually in my car on the way to work since there is a lot of traffic then, especially phone talkers in the passing lane. Sometimes people give me the bird right back, but I don't mind.
I go birding in my work truck too on occasion, but only if people on the road really provoke me.

Sorry bro, I just couldn't resist!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

Birders?

While not a hard core birder I do go to the Finley Wildlife Refuge to photograph. http://www.fws.gov/Refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=13589

There are also several refuges around Klamath Falls.

Have a good time.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #5

Larrie

Have you spent any time at the Ankeny Wildlife preserve? Years ago I was on a Century ride and we rode out that way. I've been wanting to check the place out on foot with some binocs. I pull off on that offramp on my way from Portland to Corvallis a couple of times a week and stare at the sign thinking taking a big rig that way would probably be a mistake.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I go birding everyday Gnarvan! Usually in my car on the way to work since there is a lot of traffic then, especially phone talkers in the passing lane. Sometimes people give me the bird right back, but I don't mind.
I go birding in my work truck too on occasion, but only if people on the road really provoke me.

Sorry bro, I just couldn't resist!

I never bird people when I'm driving the huge FedEx roaming billboard. The company number is way to easy for them to find and call in a complaint. I find a smile and a wave at people who are upset with my concept of lane ownership usually pisses them off more than the bird. One of our drivers had a fireside chat with management because someone called in on him. All he did way huck a bannana peal out the window at them. Go figure, some people are just way to sensitive.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Lol John, I'm pretty sure you know I'm kiddin', or I wouldn't still be here! Sure wish I could though from time to time.

Have fun with your 'actual' birding pastime mentioned here though. Sounds pretty peaceful and relaxing actually. Much more than driving at least!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
We haven't used the SMB yet but look forward to it. Favorite spots depends totally on where you live or want to go. In the SW, southern AZ is a hotspot for neotropicals visiting north in the summer. The Bosque del Apache in NM is a major wintering ground and has plenty of summer residents. Almost any flyway (i.e., long N/S river) has visitors in migratory seasons. We look forward to visiting the lower Rio Grande soon but don't have firm plans.

Do you have specific areas on mind?
Don

I don't really have any areas in mind yet. I'm just enjoying the hiking and seeing stuff that I somehow missed in the first 57 years of my life. I live in the Columbia River Gorge and have been enjoying checking out the locals. I'm thinking it's time to get a little more serious about the birding thing. I saw 15 different types of birds around my house today with at least 2-3 more that I couldn't identify. I'll probably head to the coast to check out the coastal residents first.

I need to rig a pelican case to carry my binocs on the river when I'm out cat-boating. I saw a huge Pileated Woodpecker when I was running the Washougal river last weekend. I sure wish I had my binocs with me since that's the first one of those I've seen.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #9

Garage

my mom is hardcore into birds, but is getting up in age and cant get to the remote places to look for them anymore. when the wife and i are out, we always watch for all wildlife to enjoy. when i see a bird im unfamiliar with, ill usually call mom and describe it to her and she usually knows right off the top of her head what it is and gives me the rundown, its really cute, lol. so shes kinda living vicariously through us for the harder to find birds out in the woods and its kinda sparked an intrest.

a few years ago, she bought me a book to help me identify them easier so i could get answers when out of phone range (which is often w/tmobile). I just looked around but couldnt find the exact one, but its a really good edition. has thier ranges, pictures, etc. ill call her today and see if i can find out the exact book. i have another from the same author for reptiles and its come in handy a lot more than i could have imagined.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #10

My wife is a birder.....I carry her books. I like to smell the air and kick the leaves.

We will be taking our van in late April to the White Fish Point Bird Observatory "Spring Fling". We will camp at Tahquamenon Falls State Park. The park will has electricity but water and restrooms will be closed for at least another month. Good to be self contained in our van.

It's raptor time. Hundreds of hawks and eagles congregate in area because of geography of the land and a shorter trip across Lake Superior. Several classes and walks with DNR people and birding experts. A great time for all levels of birders.

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... /index.htm

http://www.wpbo.org/

Joanne loves her Thayer "Birds of North America" software. She uses both that and her birding books. I think she is on her 3rd software version. Has had and used it for about 15 years.

http://www.thayerbirding.com/Home/tabid ... fault.aspx

Very windy day. Used van for a windbreak while using spotting scope.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote