Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #21

Re: Blue Highways

Scotty, thank you for the suggestion of Blue Highways. My copy just arrived and I am into it fifty pages. Enjoying it already.

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #22

Blue Highways

Great! Thanks and enjoy! I kept thinking the book would not be able to keep my attention and enjoyment to the end. I don't know why I felt that way but I did.
Anyway, it did. Great to the end for me.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #23

I love Coming into the Country by McPhee. "Book 111-In The Bush", which starts on page 183, is my favorite part. It is about Eagle, Alaska, which is my favorite place. I spent a month, last summer, 12 miles down the Yukon River from Eagle and also time in Eagle-my third time there and I will be back.

One of the best books that I have ever read is Flight From Tokura be Joe Gerard written in 2004. It is an amazing true store based on his experience while a teenager in the Navy in WW11, getting shot down and living to tell the story. I have met him twice. What an amazing person and story and he is still going strong. In 2011, Disney paid him for a 5 year option to make a movie of his book.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #24

Blue Highways

Just finished "Pine Barrens". Interesting read, not really what I was expecting but enjoyed.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Maybe off topic to this thread but I always enjoyed the writings of Colin Fletcher

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Maybe off topic to this thread but I always enjoyed the writings of Colin Fletcher
+1 on this. Haven't read him for a long time, but a copy of "The Complete Walker" and "The Man Who Walked Through Time" are on my bookshelf. Might have to dust off the latter and re-read it.

Not the greatest writer, but I enjoyed Peter Jenkins' classic "A Walk Across America" and "The Walk West" in the past, too.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #27

Re: Blue Highways/ Unknown treasures.

OK enough is enough.

Time to fess up. Blue Highways, Unknown treasures(the other thread in Campfire). What about Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach.
I used to fly(started with hang gliding), and my first home I built was a geodesic dome. So I could maybe maybe relate just a little bit to this book. 35 years later I still have flying dreams...OK 40.
Show the Wife or Significant Other your softer side, recommend the book to her. You might get lucky.
You can always chase it down by reading the entire Clive Clusser series about Derk Pitt or watch John Wayne in The High and The Mighty.
Now that I've said all this, I have to go outside, drop a couple of trees and go mountain bike riding in this snow storm to wake up a hibernating bear just because he's there.

Tom
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #28

Thumbs up to Travels with Charley. Steinbeck captures the spirit of wanderlust in this story. Thanks for sharing Blue Highways...I'll take it on my next trip.
dbiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #29

Blue Highways and Travels with Charly are both very good reads. I preferred Travels with Charly a little more. How I came across them was very interesting. Several years ago I decided to ride my bicycle across the US to celebrate my 50th birthday. (After that trip, my wife convinced me to get a campervan - now we have a SMB.) In a Washington State Park, a young man came up to us and gave us Travels with Charly. He said his aunt gave him the book because he was on a long road trip. So we started reading the book together (my wife also road her bike across the US with me.) as we pedeled across the US. We tried to sync up the reading with our location.

We found out that the last 5 pages from the book were missing. We sent out an email message asking for the missing text to our friends and someone emailed us back with it.

After we finished Travels with Charly, we found Blue Highways at a used book store some where in ND. We again read the book together as we road through the northern states.

Both of these books bring back memories of this long bike trip. Now, we travel in our SMB on those roads less traveled.
charlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
Site Team

Garage
Blue Highways

Slightly OT but still literary-ish in nature: If you like words you should know www.worldwidewords.com or, better yet, subscribe to Michael Quinlan's listserv. All about word origins. The current newsletter talks about the origins of scrumptious, fib and ignoramus, for example.

-------
Fresno's 1st 2012 Ford van.

RB E350 6.8L V-10 4WD w/Front Air Lockers
PH Top, Kyocera solar with Zamp portable unit

(If we'd bought the winch, we'd make a fortune pulling cars out of the snow.)

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote