Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Question Boondocking spot near Lebec, Sandburg, Castaic CA, or nearby ? open 365 days

Boondocking spot near Lebec, Sandburg, Castaic CA, or nearby ? open 365 days

Hi all

Title says it all…. I’m looking for a very quiet, scenic campground (or BLM / similar) campsite

No hookups needed….. no facilities needed at all.

the quieter the better. Dont want to be near ATVs or yahoos or a freeway. ;-)

4WD but not too crazy please. simple access is good.

Needs to be open 365 days - so no snow / high altitude.

The one place I have found so far is:

Pyramid Lake Los Alamos Campgrounds
Hard Luck Rd, Lebec, CA 93243

any other suggestion?

thanks

J.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

You might try the Old Ridge Route, remnant of the original 2-lane road through Tejon Pass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_Route). Turn right onto N2 off eastbound SR 138 just past a small reservoir (Quail Lake) on the left. Some nice remote turnouts with views a couple of miles in. Interesting history there. A locked gate prevents southward progress ~5 mi. in.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #3

If you want to stay in a campground, you always run the risk of company, but if your on BLM land, you can camp pretty much anywhere and will have better luck avoiding people and noise. My mapping program (You need a map) allows me to highlight BLM land, making it easy to scout out remote campsites.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack K View Post
You might try the Old Ridge Route, remnant of the original 2-lane road through Tejon Pass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge_Route). Turn right onto N2 off eastbound SR 138 just past a small reservoir on the left. Some nice remote turnouts with views a couple of miles in. Interesting history there. A locked gate prevents southward progress ~5 mi. in.
Thanks Jack... found the turn on Google maps...

If going eastbound on SR 138… turn right (to go south) - in Google maps the turn is at “CA-138 & Old Ridge Route California 93532”

so there are good places to camp along that road?

is that legal?

is the road super quiet?

any turnouts that are off the road?

thanks.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Thanks Jack... found the turn on Google maps...

If going eastbound on SR 138… turn right (to go south) - in Google maps the turn is at “CA-138 & Old Ridge Route California 93532”

so there are good places to camp along that road?

is that legal?

is the road super quiet?

any turnouts that are off the road?

thanks.

Hi LA,

Camped there many times. I'm a fanatic about privacy and quiet, and go to great lengths to get away from the yahoo branch of the species (one of the reasons I've got a 4WD). It's not a through route, so there's no traffic to speak of. There are turnouts at the roadside, as well as single dirt tracks leading short distances from the road where you can be out of sight. They can be a bit muddy and slippery in the rain. There is also access to a steep graded Nat'l Forest road (forgot the designation) leading up to higher elevations with outstanding views both to the desert and toward the south. No doubt in snow right now.

Is it legal? Yup! National Forest land.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #6

A spot I like
34.703165,-118.937464
This is behind the Gorman OHV area so no noise it is open area with a few tables around.
10 miles south of Lebeck, Smokey Bear exit off Int. 5 to hungry valley Rd to Gold Hill Rd. It is by Piru Creek a very nice stream to hike along
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote