Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Question boondocking spots in Utah? specific areas. in 24’ class B rental

boondocking spots in Utah? specific areas. in 24’ class B rental

Hi all

We currently own (and love) our travel trailer, but are considering changing to a 2019 24’ Sprinter gas 170 EB 4x4 with custom built interior by an ‘upfitter’

We are soon planning on renting a similar 24’ class B and doing a 6 day road trip from Los Angeles this early summer, to try 24’ van glamping out.

I have a very good idea of what Id like to do with the family, (i have been before) so the question isn’t what to see (I have a good amount planned for the 6 days - hitting my favorite spots)

but rather - what boondocking spots very near our desired overnight spots exist?

I’d welcome quiet, scenic spots that are pretty much guaranteed a spot for us. Free is a bonus. Dont mind paying if need be.

Want to not be cheek to jowl next to other sun blockers.

Dont want WallyWorld free. Want dirt road, away from folks camping. :-)

Day 1 - leave Los Angeles, drive about 7 hours to Zion National Park area. Boondock in Zion National Park area.

Day 2 - AM: quick look at Zion National Park, then drive towards Moab area.
Boondock maybe 1/2 way to Moab.
Fishlake National Forest?
What is more scenic up to there - the 15 north, (about 20 minutes faster than the 89) or the 89 north?

Day 3 - explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and area. Boondock nearby.

Day 4 - explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and area. Boondock nearby.

Day 5 - leave Arches + Canyonlands, drive to Monument Valley area.
Boondock near Monument Valley.

Day 6 - early AM explore Monument Valley, and drive about 3/4 (about 7 hours) towards LA.
Boondock about 3 hours out of LA.
Maybe Mojave National Preserve near Baker? can one boondock near there? Is it pretty?

Day 7 arrive home to LA about lunch time. :-)

thanks for any and all boondock location tips!!

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #2

boondock

Hello Los Angeles

Your plan sounds great I did the same but from opposite direction. Just some advice now Arches is nice-BUT-CROWDED and no place to boondock.I mistakenly got in line with at least 200 vehicles turned around at the gate and there was at least 200 more Plenty of places to boondock around the area,just do some homework Also on the way down from Moab you should go to southern side of CanyonLands. Lots of places to boondock The most COOL place of ALL is before you get to Mexican Hat you gotta go in and thru Valley of the Gods Pick a spot. True boondocking.FREE I spent a week there(NIRVANA) Better than Monument Valley where you have to pay$20 and can't get out and explore and No boondocking Navajo got a racket goin on. Southern Utah is so cool. So much to see

Have Fun and be Safe
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

Wow, that's a lot of emojis in those two posts!

Can't help with the boondocking, but I did notice several USFS roads heading off Rt. 9 west of Springdale. And if you are driving east out of Zion (which I assume you will to go to Moab), be aware of the RV tunnel restrictions on Rt 9 toward Mount Carmel (you may need a permit depending on your vehicle size). See https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm

Honestly, if you can get a reservation for the Zion park CG, I'd go for that so you have a guaranteed place to stay the first night after a long drive in a new-to-you RV.

One of my favorite national park experiences ever was getting up before sunrise and bicycling up the closed-to-cars Zion Canyon Road. If you don't have bikes with you they can be rented in Springdale. It's an amazing to experience the canyon basically devoid of any traffic and crowds. There are a few hills, but nothing too bad. My 8 year old son did it on his 24" bike. We rode all the way from the Springdale visitor center up to the end of the canyon road at the Riverside Trailhead and only saw a few other bikers and one (empty) shuttle bus. This was in mid-late June. Plus, you beat the heat. Stop at the Zion Lodge for breakfast on the way back.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #4

For day 2 I prefer the smaller 89 over the 15 if time isn't a issue, but would probably go up the 15 to Beaver then take the 153 through the Fishlake Forest over to the 89. The 153 is a beautiful drive but some is dirt but smooth. Hear is one of my favorite spots about 30 minutes up from Beaver at FR124, but lots of boondock camping.
For a real experience take FR123 from the 153 up over 11000' pass up to the 70 about Fremont Indian State Park, that's a great drive.

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #5

If you have an iPhone, I fount the app iOverlander very helpful. A lot of free campsites.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Wow, that's a lot of emojis in those two posts!

Can't help with the boondocking, but I did notice several USFS roads heading off Rt. 9 west of Springdale. And if you are driving east out of Zion (which I assume you will to go to Moab), be aware of the RV tunnel restrictions on Rt 9 toward Mount Carmel (you may need a permit depending on your vehicle size). See https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm

Honestly, if you can get a reservation for the Zion park CG, I'd go for that so you have a guaranteed place to stay the first night after a long drive in a new-to-you RV.

One of my favorite national park experiences ever was getting up before sunrise and bicycling up the closed-to-cars Zion Canyon Road. If you don't have bikes with you they can be rented in Springdale. It's an amazing to experience the canyon basically devoid of any traffic and crowds. There are a few hills, but nothing too bad. My 8 year old son did it on his 24" bike. We rode all the way from the Springdale visitor center up to the end of the canyon road at the Riverside Trailhead and only saw a few other bikers and one (empty) shuttle bus. This was in mid-late June. Plus, you beat the heat. Stop at the Zion Lodge for breakfast on the way back.
Thanks so much for all the great info. Awesome.

Sadly (and as expected) Watchman Campground is 100% booked up for the night we'd want it....

"South" campground is changing.. they'll soon accept reservations 14 days in advance. Used to be 100% 1st come 1st serve. Maybe we'll get lucky there. Not holding my breath.

Boondocking somewhere south of Zion seems to be my top priority now... the rest of our seems to be easier to find boondocking sites.

For day 4 night - Valley of the Gods looks to be 100% stunning and perfect.

john
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #7

I’ve had very good luck when traveling with finding last minute cancellations in NPS campgrounds. Keep checking about a week out and especially when the cancellation window closes.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsBC View Post
If you have an iPhone, I fount the app iOverlander very helpful. A lot of free campsites.
It is available for Android as well.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

I have a couple boondocking suggestions. Depending on road conditions you may be somewhat limited with a Class B. I used to drive a Subaru WRX and have been in both places including during stormy periods, but that was much shorter wheelbase and required some high speed mud drifting at times...

Zion - There are some nice spots to camp up on Gooseberry Mesa. It is primarily an MTB destination, views are great. Take bridge road from Rockville a few miles before Springdale. The road was pretty mellow graded dirt from what I remember, but don't even think about it if it's rained in the past 72 hours or so in an RV. Camping seems to fill up on weekends. I would echo what BrianW said above that camping inside Zion is the best way to do it. There is some camping on off the Kolob Terrace Road on private land by donation. Not sure if it will accommodate a rig of your size.

Arches - Willow Springs Road. It is North of the park off Hwy 191 (and the only way to access the park if you have 4WD). I've seen 30'+ rigs in the spots close to the highway - you can wander in until the road gets too rough. It gets crowded during high season, but if you aren't on a weekend, you can probably find a spot.

If you aren't in a rush the Drive on Hwy 12 to Hwy 24 is spectacular. The trip from Escalante to Boulder and through Capitol Reef are worth it IMHO. There is good opportunities for boondocking on the east side of capitol reef around where Burr Trail takes off south of the highway.
OlyEsteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
It is available for Android as well.
Awesome, I only could speak for apple products. Combining this app with Gaia gps makes for great trip planning.