Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
California DMV fees

The word is that our state is deciding to increase the DMV taxes for license plate fees. They are going to jump about 50% if they get their way That puts me at about $1,200 bucks per year for my SMB DMV fees. I want to hang some politicians in Sacramento. If we are the example for the US, America's in trouble. I hope the vote fails.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Re: California DMV fees

Isn't that the issue that got Governor Gray Davis recalled?

Here in Big Sky country, SMBs are licensed as RVs, which have a ridiculously low rate. I'm paying $170/year for my 2006 SMB plates.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Does that mean it is time to 'borrow' and address in Nevada and register there?

Or should we be thinking about moving out of CA while we still have some money left?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

Gas tax and DMV fees going up - punishment tax for owning a car.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Just wait, I imagine just about all states and municipalities will ramp up traffic code enforcement as a means of increasing revenue. I just have love how almost all levels of Government build the level of infrastructure to match the amount of funding in really good times, then act surprised when their revenue decreases during more difficult times.

Herb
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #6

When all the new taxes (I'm sorry - FEES) get implemented this will be one very expensive state to live in. Ok, it already is expensive. The only thing saving us is Prop 13 on a house purchased in the mid 70's.

In some counties, the sales tax will be over 10%!!!!!!!! I think it will only be 9 3/4% here.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
When all the new taxes (I'm sorry - FEES) get implemented this will be one very expensive state to live in. Ok, it already is expensive. The only thing saving us is Prop 13 on a house purchased in the mid 70's.

In some counties, the sales tax will be over 10%!!!!!!!! I think it will only be 9 3/4% here.

Mike
And don't forget CA income taxes on top of the high sales taxes. The effective tax rate here is brutal. I think there is some realization that hammering W-2 earners and businesses with more direct taxation is a losing game, especially during a recession. Hence their focus on stuff like DMV fees, etc....
R
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

I wouldn't put it past some people to try to repeal prop 13 again - nobody but the top 3% should own property - hahaha ok I am going to shut up now.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #9

I don't know if you can still do it, but Montana has been a tax haven state for out-of-state RVs for years. With no sales tax, you can buy a big Class A, do so fancy legal work and register it in Montana with Montana plates for a pittance. Other states of course frown on this practice.

I don't know how this RV tax dodge got established, but it is similar to the trailer fee dodge that recently got implemented. Pushed primarily by the snowmobile and ATV lobbies, recreational trailers require only a modest one-time life-time vehicle registration fee (rather than an annual fee) and that's it. My raft trailer got licensed for $30, where it used to be $30 per year.

Tax cutting comes with a price of course. County and state highways are crumbling, and our county has started closing some rural bridges. Instead of raising vehicles taxes, Montana begs for federal funds for highways and bridges, fed tax dollars which come from other states like well, California. Montana is not as bad as Alaska or New Mexico, but we get back $1.50 for every $1 in federal taxes paid.

So keep paying your taxes!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
I don't know if you can still do it, but Montana has been a tax haven state for out-of-state RVs for years. With no sales tax, you can buy a big Class A, do so fancy legal work and register it in Montana with Montana plates for a pittance. Other states of course frown on this practice.
You know they frown on this in California, FOR THE CITIZENS! For a couple years, I've noticed city and county buses with Montana license plates. Pisses me off! Not that they're registered in Montana, but that the cities and counties can get away with it at the same time if I was found doing it, I'd get hit with all sorts of penalties and fees. I have not doubt they get away with it because they probably contract out the service to the bus operators, and therefore have "no control" over where the buses are registered.

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Herb