Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Campground Etiquette

I hope this is the right forum in which to ask this question. I'm new to this, so I apologize for my ignorance, but google didn't work for this. Suppose I bring my SMB to a campground about 3 or 4 p.m. and the folks direct me to a specific site suitable for the size and needs of the SMB. I hook up to shore power, do whatever. At 6 I'm hungry and don't feel like cooking. I drive out to a restaurant and return. (1) Will I find that the site to which I was assigned has been re-assigned? (2) Should I, do I need to, tell someone "official" that I'm going out but will be back? (3) Would it be foolish to leave anything (power cord, barbecue, chair, whatever) at the site? (In other words, do I need to pack up again, and unpack when I return from dinner?)

Many thanks in advance. As I said, I'm new at this, and so I would not be surprised if someone wonders why I'm even asking these questions. I need to learn!

bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Campground Etiquette

My experience is that most organized campsites have a campsite marker with a clip of some sort to attach your receipt for that campsite.

Personally I always try to leave something (of no real value) behind to quickly indicate the site is occupied to prevent any misunderstandings. A lot will depend how close to "civilization" you are.

Herb
Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

We also leave something on the campsite when we leave the site for the day. A table cloth on the table, maybe a chair or two. Nothing of real value but something to show the site is occupied. Do that even if we have an occupied sticker or date stamped receipt on the site post.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

I put a computer printed sign on the back of one of my lawn chairs that says, "Sorry, Campsite Occupied" and has a picture of my Sportsmobile. I then place the chair at the entrance of my campsite when I leave so people know the site is taken. The sign also includes the license plate number of my van so park rangers can compare it with their record of who is registered in that site. I have never had anyone disturb my site.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

I keep several preprinted "OCCUPIED" signs in the van that I can clip, pin or post on a stake, chair or table, to leave at the site while gone. They are just 8 1/2x11 paper printed on my home computer printer.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I carry a cheap rope and have a waterproof sign on it as well. I also do the tablecloth thing. Then I have the SKS

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Camprgrounds that assign spaces normally don't assign a 2nd camper to the same spot, so it would be a '"squatter'. Call the campground host/manager or the local police to get them out of your space.

You did keep the receipt for the site didn't you?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #8

Thanks to all for the quick responses. Makes sense there's no harm in taking steps to prevent any "misunderstandings." Life's so full of those!

The rope and sign is something I've seen in a totally different place. Imagine a driveway near a popular spot -- not a parking spot on the street but a driveway -- used as soon as the homeowner departs. Fortunately, two short poles, a chain, and a sign don't break the budget.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Many campsites even first come first serve will have a clip for your stub, paper or marker. Good way to tell what sites are available if you're not assigned. Have never had an issue leaving a campsite, but with how rude our fellow campers are these days I wouldn't be surprised if someone used it as overflow parking!

Talk to the campground hosts about how it works each place you go, the only problem I can really see is if it's some free or unassigned camping, in which case chicago rules (leaving furniture or whatever). Our marker of choice is the Outback changing tent, it's more like a tent. I've seen abandoned camp chairs before, but it's rare and something usually means the site is occupied.

Pay attention as you're looking for a spot too, if it's choose your own, you can see what other people leave lying around and how other people treat their empty sites when not around. Since you're new I'll be anxious to hear your interpritations- how people treat each other's campsites has changed a LOT since I was a kid. At Yellowstone our campsite was a major thoroughfare even when we were there, and once some kid used my Aluminess ladder as a jungle gym, parents right there, while we were taking a nap one afternoon.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #10

I will report my experiences. But it will be a while. The Sprinter is somewhere between Germany and here, and then it goes to SMB North. If all goes well, it will be ready by early July. If things get backed up, .... might not be ready ... oh, never mind, let's dismiss that thought.

Probably will be other stories, too. And pictures. Eventually.

Now back to fine-tuning the design, and learning more about life with an SMB Sprinter.