Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #21

Re: Camping Gear list, what are the top 20 items?

I like To Do. It allows me to assign people stuff to pack and pre-departure tasks, then email.

She hates it cuz I tend to micro manage her list, she claims.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #22

I found an app for both Android and iOS that offer repeating todos (allow one to tick off tasks, then when time to check again, clear the boxes without having the tasks automatically delete themselves.)

One trick I learned is to try to find items with multiple functions. A Pyrex cup works well as a measuring item as well as a small soup container.

Another item is putting all stuff in bottles in ZipLoc bags, preferably the bags with two closures. Stuff like shampoo, toothpaste, rubbing alcohol, all get bagged. This way, if one leaks on the road, it is pretty much contained to that container. I then placed the bagged bottles in a tub to further contain any potential mishaps.

Another trick is the use of clear plastic tubs of every size from half the size of playing card decks (for sewing stuff) to the large sizes for bedding. This also makes it easier to secure items in overhead bins. Plus, it also gives more ways to store and easily move stuff around.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #23

Agreed on the clear tubs for sure. They really help.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Lots of useful stuff here and on the other post links. You'll find my previous list on one of them that includes a lot of the things mentioned here, headlamps, cooking utensils, etc. and one of my top essentials, my 20+ yr old well seasoned cast iron pan, never leave home without it, that and my fire grate and fire bag packed with newspaper, hatchet, folding saw, fire starters, long grill lighter, strike anywhere matches and then my spice cook kit I made from a Plano 2 sided tackle box, has all my spices and oil in small Nalgene bottles and utensils in it.
Other things I alway have packed:
Spare fluids/parts and bulbs for the rig(sucks finding you have a blown headlight bulb on a night long drive!, high beam worked, but switching to low every time a car was coming in the opposite direction got old, and dark real fast!)
Tool kit/zip ties/duct tape/rescue tape(cool stuff, fuses to itself for repairs on leaky hoses)/hose clamps/tire sealant/high lift jack/bottle jack/leveling blocks(many uses including using as a stacked base under bottle jacks)
Tow strap/recovery gear/chain(and know how to use it)
Flairs
Pair of leather gloves(always have a pair under my seat)
Good LED flashlight/headlamp and extra batteries(also have an oldie but goodie 3D(W/converted LED bulb)Maglight, doubles for security purposes, been camped out in some not so desirable places with some less than desirable people, having a night stick handy is always good when on the road.
Extra pair of dry socks/boots (cold,wet feet suck)
Fleece blankets
extra towels
Rags/citrus based cleaner
Baby wipes,oh, yes!,helps keep it clean between showers! Necessary in my book...
I'm sure there's more....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #25

I added this glass buster to my 4 D-Cell LED Maglite, which is one of my essentials and bracketed on the side of the passenger swivel seat base:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZ ... UTF8&psc=1

I also keep a large can of "bear repellent" handy as an essential: http://www.amazon.com/Guard-Alaska-Bear ... pper+spray

Cheap and legal protection.
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
Site Team

Any recommended Android-based camping lists? Seems like a number of options out there, including RV centric lists, but I'd rather hear from any firsthand users. I have my own lists, but having them convenient on my tablet would have some advantages.

Herb
Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #27

Great price on that bear spray Salivan. I have it in my hiking camelbak and keep a can of 20' wasp spray in the glove box of my cars. It's not as potent but I think it would slow a thug down if I got em in the face.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #28

I'm not sure about that wasp spray. The law might look on it differently than pepper spray.

Pepper spray hurts like hell and will stop most people dead in their tracks but won't do permanent harm.

Wasp spray on the other hand could fail to stop him right now but kill him next week.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #29
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Article I found on the subject, read down the the end, make sure you take a look at the ingredients on the can you purchase. Some of that stuff could cause long term harm or even a slow death to a bear that you just intend to deter.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote