Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

CARB gas cans

Am heading to Death Valley in a few days and will be carrying extra gas. In Oregon stations will fill any fuel container with with gas. How much trouble will I get into if I fill a non CARB compliant fuel can with gas? Is it even legal to bring one into the state?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

Not a problem.. You could fill a milk jug at most stations.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

You pump your own gas once your out of Oregon most places don't even pay attention to what you pump it into.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #4

You'll be fine. Not illegal to own, just illegal to sell.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

Consider yourself lucky if you have an earlier generation gas can. The new ones for sale at stores and online are all the EPA/CARB compliant models with the frustrating lockout spout. You definitely spill more fuel than with the old fashioned ones because you need three hands to lift the jug, hold the lock open and guide it into the tank. Some of the Amazon reviews for aftermarket "water jug" spouts are hilarious because it's the only way to buy a traditional spout these days.
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

I think CARB compliant gas cans are an amazing example of modern 21st century design concepts driven by a governing body that really has environmental concerns at the top of their list.

No vents to leave open and pollute, and you don't even need to cap the spout. What's not to like??

They obviously work so well that all 50 states have required them for years....I'm sure the California Air Resources Board is tickled pink by the widespread success of this committee designed little engineering marvel....

......OK....the above is complete bulls$^t......When I purchased my rotopax can, I bought the optional "water" spout.....so I got to spend more money and throw away a never used spout.....brilliant!

Has anyone noticed what vintage gas cans are selling for on Craigslist? As mentioned if you have an old gas can take good care of it.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #7

I was able to buy "waste oil cans" at Offroad warehouse in El Cajon. These are the exact same cans I have used for the last 50 years right down to the spout that screws in. Now I can carry 15 gallons of waste oil.
Attached Thumbnails
cans.JPG  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned5555 View Post
Consider yourself lucky if you have an earlier generation gas can. The new ones for sale at stores and online are all the EPA/CARB compliant models with the frustrating lockout spout. You definitely spill more fuel than with the old fashioned ones because you need three hands to lift the jug, hold the lock open and guide it into the tank. Some of the Amazon reviews for aftermarket "water jug" spouts are hilarious because it's the only way to buy a traditional spout these days.
This!!! I just bought two new gas cans and immediately proceeded to spill gas everywhere. The lockout spout is a huge pain. I'll be looking into a "water spout" very soon...
bb121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb121 View Post
This!!! I just bought two new gas cans and immediately proceeded to spill gas everywhere. The lockout spout is a huge pain. I'll be looking into a "water spout" very soon...
I use a length of 1/4 inch fuel hose with a squeeze bulb for an outboard, and siphon fuel out of the can into the gas tank. I never spill a drop and it only takes a few minutes and while it's draining I don't have to hold the can up.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #10

If you have the plastic cans like the ones sold at every hardware store, in a couple of minutes with a few dollars you can have vented cans.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SEK6XN6/ref=psd_mlt_bc_B00SEK6XN6
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote