Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #21
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Chipmunk, Field Mice Intrusion

The Dead Chipmunk - Extracted after complete disassembly of the closet area

Closet before I completely removed it

My Favorite Tool

Chipmunks love Veva/Paper Towels for some reason

Surgical Cut into the thin white plywood showing Thin Foam insulation

Some Chipmunk Chew evidence

Access holes where they were coming in from

Closet completely removed

Where they were hanging out, plus Anza Borrego Sand collecting in there

Area near thick floor plywood before I cut out a square out of it

What I found after I cut it out, more remains of chipmunk with maggots all in the drain bowl

The van water drain bowl I was talking about, all vaccumed up the debri, and maggots

Ford drain bowl at the back of van - driver side

More sad painful disassembly

They had access alone the whole inner wall

Cheapass Insulation

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll show you all the progress of the rebuild. It's going to be better for sure.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #22

I thought those factory drain holes had plugs in them to keep critters out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #23
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I thought those factory drain holes had plugs in them to keep critters out.

Mike
Those drain holes still had the plugs in them, but they could have sealed off where the plywood floor they put in meets the side wall. The chipmunk must have loved that cavity since it was full of seeds.

They were coming in from where the bottom side metal van skin was cut up for the propane fridge or from where they cut for the propane tank near the fuel door..

Even though it was hack job getting it in there, I love that propane 4CF fridge, wish they did a better job sealing it off there too.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #24
NRL

Things are moving along.
Got the back area where the closet used to be all clean up, sealed up all the larger holes but left the smallest ones alone.
I found this interesting material at Lowes that is made by Frostking. It's a water heater or ac wrapper, basically foil with a pad that is sticky on one side. It's very similar to the dynamat material people put in their cars and sportsmobile for sound and noise control but way cheaper.

I was going to use the reflectix but that other material seemed to mold around corners, nook and cranny a bit better.

Plus layed down the Frostking material and some reflectix and sealing up the wallboard that parallels the aisle.

Then, I also got the windows back in that are screwed in by screws that go thru the wallboard around the window frame that pulls the windows in. Lot's of screws. 22 for the big window and 10 for the small, and misc other screws.. I sorta them and put them in a bin carrier so I could tell what each screw most likely was for.

It's alot better now with all entries blocked most by combo of foam filler, wire mesh, Frostking and reflectix.

Overall I have so far about 14hours into this whole disassembly, cleanup and revamp.

Tommorrow, I'll attempt to put back the closet back, after I patch up the floor plywood that I'll cut out.

Also cleaned up the side wallboard bottom half I had to cut off to get the reflectix in between the white wallboard. Also layed down the Frostking material and some reflectix and sealing up the wallboard that parallels the aisle.

I'll have pics soon.
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #25

We just got back yesterday from the same general area. Although we camped at Convict Lake last Thursday (saw two other SMBs in the campground), we boondocked just off Owens River Road last Friday night. We've camped in this general area several times over the years (completely FS legal, dispersed camping) but you'll hear traffic noise if you are too close to Highway 395. This time, we took Owens River Road east pass Big Springs campground up and over the ridgeline and down to the old Alpers' Owens River Ranch. This is where the trees thin out. If you look at the Google Map link, you will see a road heading south from Owens River Road just opposite the ranch and what looks like a pond. We took this dirt road back into the woods...no bush wacking and very quiet.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
We just got back yesterday from the same general area. Although we camped at Convict Lake last Thursday (saw two other SMBs in the campground), we boondocked just off Owens River Road last Friday night. We've camped in this general area several times over the years (completely FS legal, dispersed camping) but you'll hear traffic noise if you are too close to Highway 395. This time, we took Owens River Road east pass Big Springs campground up and over the ridgeline and down to the old Alpers' Owens River Ranch. This is where the trees thin out. If you look at the Google Map link, you will see a road heading south from Owens River Road just opposite the ranch and what looks like a pond. We took this dirt road back into the woods...no bush wacking and very quiet.
Nice area. Especially for Dirt bikes. Ton's of trails. We tried to explore as many (snowmobile) trails on the bikes and that area still surprises us with new ones.
We even explored the Crooked Meadows area and that was endless..

Awesome in the summertime with the higher altitude, hope to go back there soon..
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #27

Found a good mouse trap at http://www.victorpest.com for just under $4.00 at Home Depot. Easy to use, just put a bit of peanut butter in the bait location inside the trap. Put in the van Saturday night and Sunday morning I had the little critter all safe and sound for free release far away from anyone's home or van. Cleaned up the trap for re-use if there's next time - I'm working through finding and plugging holes in the van, but still don't know if I have that problem licked.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #28

Hi;

I've had good luck jamming coarse steel wool in critter access points and then filling up the wool with spray foam in a can. They don't seem to like chewing on the steel.

Also batt insulation made by Roxul (metal fibres) is annoying to them as well. They will shred fiberglass in a minute, but leave Roxul alone.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

I just hope you don't run into what I did. 15+ in one night...talk about a bad smell, and it lasted for months. I cleaned everything I could and it just took about 8 months for the smell to leave I'm a hunter, and don't kill to kill but them little critters will come back even if you take em a 1/4 mile away. It becomes a health issue. I did purchase (as posted before) an herb packet called Fresh Cab. We have used it in tractors but never really proved it worked. Some might not like the smell (namely the mice) but I don't mind it. It kind of smells like incense of a type. My next weapon isn't friendly to the mice.

I plan to stick some of that copper scratch pad in every crack or opening I can find.

[edit]
watch out with fine steel wool...it burns easily.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
Site Team

I used Fresh Cab, maybe based on your advice, and while I can't say if it worked, I do like the smell.

Herb