Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #1

Garage
companies that oppose motorized off road travel on public lands.

i was approached and asked a question by a buddy of mine at a race at mary hill a few months back. he asked why me of all people was wearing keen sandals? i looked at him and said cause their the baddest ass sandals ive found so far...and they really are. i love these things. he proceeded to tell me that the keen company supports and donates money to limiting motorized travel on public lands. all smiles faded. my heart sank. i am helping a company limit use in areas i love and that displeases me. whats even funnier is in my looking around, i found the exact post where he discovered this news and also stated that he was wearing keen products as he read the thread...his onscreen handle is meathooker. kinda hard to forget.

ive been poking around them googles looking for info regarding this statement ever since. not like on a mission or anything, but looking for info when im not submerged in van crap. so far i cant really find anything documented, but i am seeing lots of companies getting thrown under the bus. companies i have supported for years, namely burton, camelbak and a few others that you see on every outdoor enthusiast whilst out at play. so my question is this... is anyone here familiar with this topic and have any documented resources i could read up on? I would really like to know if i need to kick a few companies to the curb. i wont be a fanatic or anything and destroy stuff i already own, but when it comes time to replace, you can bet it wont be with that company if i can prove that they wanna ruin something i love.

please note that i dont want rumors posted here. theres lots of that floating around already. please post if you can help. im sure im not the only one willing to change up my way of thinking to help thwart the bad guys mission.

id also like this not to become a debate. i am well aware that some areas need to be closed off from asshats that cant respect mother earth and her frail areas. i would really like to stay focused on the companies to avoid if possible. i know thats a lot to ask, but the folks on this forum seem to be way more civil than any other place i spend time.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

The first question is who are the groups that opposed motorized off roading? Sierra Club?
The second question is who claimed the donations to those groups on their taxes? If they didn't claim it then it can be anonymous. You will not be able to track it if so. Organizations rarely list their donors.

Here is a peak into the rabbit hole. Good luck

OpenSecrets
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

You may be looking for some of the support the Outdoor Industry Association has given to National Monuments and Wilderness. They sometimes forget that motorized use is also a valid outdoor activity. Here is one of their publications that I found https://www.scribd.com/document/1131...a-0f44b2195e58

Patagonia has been on my 'don't buy' list for a long time due to their stance on Wilderness designations and off road vehicles. Osprey and Camelbak have supported too many closures IMO (and I embarrassingly do own their products...but try very hard to not buy more).
WAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

Patagonia does a hell of a job with their Dam campaign as well as opposing some serious corporate abuse of natural resources. I will say that it's pretty hard to do the right thing all the time. We hope that for every left there is a right and all things settle sensibly in the middle.

I used to get irked about all the mules on the trails in the Sierra.....guess what, mules and mule packers built those trails. If I don't like it I can walk straight up scree and bushwack. Yep, I take the trail and deal with the roadapples and silt.

There's room for all. Better it's overprotected a bit then let loose. I know there's talk about selling off a lot of public lands. Then you definitely will have no place to go.

But I am gonna look into this a bit. I wear Keens every day. Only shoes that fit my feet well.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #5

I think I have 5 pairs of Keens. I like em immensely. Not good news but like Shenrie I would love to know the real truth and adjust future support accordingly.

Sad to hear about Osprey too, I love their stuff.

Either for or against I support doing one's own research rather than just jumping on the bandwagon, but how do you find the unbiased truth these days?

Another vote here for keeping this thread purely on topic as it does touch a lot of nerves.

Nice work Shenrie
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

Unbiased truth? In the internet age? Good luck with that. Get off Facebook is my first recommendation. Haha!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Garage
Have you contacted any of the companies directly? I am sure that most would happily tell you what they support and what they don't. Just don't tip your hand before asking.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Unbiased truth? In the internet age? Good luck with that. Get off Facebook is my first recommendation. Haha!

We are in the age of "Information Wars" and Facebook is probably the biggest platform.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Yep - FB =1.8 billion sheep and counting.

Do you feel "informed"? I feel it is more manipulated and over saturated.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #10

Garage
Found this on the Keen Website...
Live Monumental • KEEN Footwear
Monumental area where Mojave Trails area that promotes protecting an area for Camping, Off0Roading, Hiking, Rock hounding and Hunting.
Just two minutes of looking. Not a definitive treatise, but not a bad sign.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote