Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #11

Re: Death Valley Search

That was riveting. Started and had to finish the whole thing.

R

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #12

Death Valley Search

Wow, just finished.

Wow.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #13

I lost more than several hours on his blog. I need to stay away from there today.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #14

I just finished the Death valley search story. I know where I'll be headed for more reading material later today. Very well written and interesting stuff. Kind of makes me wonder what motivates this guy. He sure dedicated a lot of time energy and effort into solving the puzzle. I wonder what his background is?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #15

Garage

I'm only a few section into this story, but I am thankful to whatever higher power watches over me that my breakdown in Death Valley didn't turn out like this. Fortunately for me I lived to learn from my experience. Though the story is not quite as dramatic, it can be found here.

Steve in L.A.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Very rough terrain, recent picture of the east side of Mengle pass.
looks perfect for a rental to me, lol.

got home and went straight for the computer. second I sat down got a call that someone (someone i couldnt say no too) needed help moving. gah, of course. was too tired after getting home after midnight and finished it this morning. was a really good read, thanks again for the link
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Just finished reading the whole thing to my wife while she Google Earthed the areas described and checked other maps and pictures online.

Great morning adventure without ever getting out of bed - well there were a couple of trips to the bathroom ("cat holes", lol).

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #18

Wow! Seems as though they did everything wrong.

We once helped an older couple (mid-60's) find their way back to Panamint Spring campground, after they had mistakenly followed us down Lippencott Mine road at dusk one December. I helped them fix their flat tire at the Racetrack Playa earlier the same day, and cautioned them NOT to take their Lexus SUV down Lippencott. We were in a nimble little Samuai. Almost street tires, no spare or tools of any kind, they did it anyway. Following their trusty Garmin GPS, past the warning sign that has every caution but a skull and cossbones, it looked like a decent road to them

Mind you, these were not uneducated people, both avid hikers, one is currently a Prof at a well-known California University, the other a well accomplished hiker, she had done the entire Pacific Crest Trail solo! Turns out they are real good people, looking for a little adventure, and made a bad decision. We were NOT going to let them fend for themselves. Fortunately, we led them back to Panamint for pizza and a beer without incident.

My gal and I often read all of the warnings about, in and around DV visitor's center, trail guides, maps, you can't avoid the cautionary warnings... unless you are either:
1) stubborn, and think warnings don't apply to you (when younger, I might have somewhat fit this)
2) can't read the language (which should make you extra cautious)
3) it's hot, the kids are whining, your girlfriend it cranky, and you just don't care
4) you've been drinking too much, are overheated, and are too stupid to make rational decisions
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast
Wow! Seems as though they did everything wrong.

We once helped an older couple (mid-60's) find their way back to Panamint Spring campground, after they had mistakenly followed us down Lippencott Mine road at dusk one December. I helped them fix their flat tire at the Racetrack Playa earlier the same day, and cautioned them NOT to take their Lexus SUV down Lippencott. We were in a nimble little Samuai. Almost street tires, no spare or tools of any kind, they did it anyway. Following their trusty Garmin GPS, past the warning sign that has every caution but a skull and cossbones, it looked like a decent road to them

Mind you, these were not uneducated people, both avid hikers, one is currently a Prof at a well-known California University, the other a well accomplished hiker, she had done the entire Pacific Crest Trail solo! Turns out they are real good people, looking for a little adventure, and made a bad decision. We were NOT going to let them fend for themselves. Fortunately, we led them back to Panamint for pizza and a beer without incident.

My gal and I often read all of the warnings about, in and around DV visitor's center, trail guides, maps, you can't avoid the cautionary warnings... unless you are either:
1) stubborn, and think warnings don't apply to you (when younger, I might have somewhat fit this)
2) can't read the language (which should make you extra cautious)
3) it's hot, the kids are whining, your girlfriend it cranky, and you just don't care
4) you've been drinking too much, are overheated, and are too stupid to make rational decisions

It does feel good to help the unlucky or clueless (sometimes both) get out of a jam. I always wonder what would have happened had nobody come along to help?

IMHO, going with multiple vehicles and intelligent people is critical in a place like DV. Even my trusty SMB could break down and leave me stranded......or worse me and my family.

R
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider

It does feel good to help the unlucky or clueless (sometimes both) get out of a jam. I always wonder what would have happened had nobody come along to help?

IMHO, going with multiple vehicles and intelligent people is critical in a place like DV. Even my trusty SMB could break down and leave me stranded......or worse me and my family.

R
Ain't that the truth! Last trip in DV I was in the campground, preparing to head out ~10 miles off a paved road and the van would not start. Had it started there and not later that would have been a long, long hike out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote