Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Death Valley Search

One reason I carry a sat phone is for such a case, that being me becoming stranded. I had an older couple follow me on a road that was very questionable when looking at their vehicle and them in general. The question came up, are they old timers that truely know the area, or are they new to the area and just following their Tom-Tom type GPS that claimed it was a typical roadway? I did notice mine did show it as a through route between highways. Not that a passenger car couldn't do it, but it would have been tough and ended in body damage. They finally turned around which indicated to me they had no idea what they were in for further along the trail. Some people just put themselves into bad situations even if they know the area such as the couple from Citrus Heights who lost her boyfriend in the snow. But with this DV loss, even I was very surprised at how big DV is the first time I visited it. Westside road was way under estimated by me during my first visit. But off road travel in summer? There is a reason why its called Death Valley.

Thanks for the read, it was a good one.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
One reason I carry a sat phone is for such a case, that being me becoming stranded. I had an older couple follow me on a road that was very questionable when looking at their vehicle and them in general. The question came up, are they old timers that truely know the area, or are they new to the area and just following their Tom-Tom type GPS that claimed it was a typical roadway? I did notice mine did show it as a through route between highways. Not that a passenger car couldn't do it, but it would have been tough and ended in body damage. They finally turned around which indicated to me they had no idea what they were in for further along the trail. Some people just put themselves into bad situations even if they know the area such as the couple from Citrus Heights who lost her boyfriend in the snow. But with this DV loss, even I was very surprised at how big DV is the first time I visited it. Westside road was way under estimated by me during my first visit. But off road travel in summer? There is a reason why its called Death Valley.

Thanks for the read, it was a good one.
I also bring along a sat phone for the same reason Dave.

It is an expensive insurance policy and in 7+ years, I've only really "needed" it in an emergency situation once......and that was to help someone else we came along who was injured.

Most of the time, I just use it to make "all is well" calls to home. For me, that use alone justifies the price.

R
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #23

Death Valley Search

Took me two days to get through the story. Very interesting read and reminded me how blessed I am that the Holy Spirit has watches over me. There have been several times where my judgement was lacking.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I also bring along a sat phone for the same reason Dave.

It is an expensive insurance policy and in 7+ years, I've only really "needed" it in an emergency situation once......and that was to help someone else we came along who was injured.

Most of the time, I just use it to make "all is well" calls to home. For me, that use alone justifies the price.

R
Very expensive indeed Rob but it has pulled me out of the fire enough times that it's worth keeping. Once and a while I just use it to say hi...at a dollar a minute

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote