Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

Re: Earthroamer Comparison

Windows are a trade-off. Do you want the view, or do you want the heat? For ER's intended use, the small window area makes sense.

My trailer has lots of windows. Even with reflectix up, I can burn through 7-gallons of propane in 24-hours.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Windows are a trade-off. Do you want the view, or do you want the heat? For ER's intended use, the small window area makes sense.

My trailer has lots of windows. Even with reflectix up, I can burn through 7-gallons of propane in 24-hours.
We like the sense of being out, it goes well with the classic SMB sensation that the van is part of the campsite.
Most of my camping is furnace-free... warmer climates/seasons and HEAVY insulation in walls... 21 gallons in four years

One of the tradeoffs is having to deal with reflectix quite a bit since we don't have blinds/shades... 10 pieces in all I have a stretch net for it on the ceiling. The net is one of several "marriage-savers" we employ.

A couple of closed-in foul weather days back-to-back have confirmed the value of windows for us.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
The quality and room is nice. If they made a pop top version of those I'd be more impressed. For my wants, the overall height would keep me out of places I visit. Maybe tow a Jeep?
daveb,

I have a Truck Camper/2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW diesel Longbed 4x4 crew & Eagle Cap 1160 double slide, good for bitumen, not offroad, at 28ft long x 12.5ft high, weighing around 5 tons, this is why I'm building a SMB. Truck Camper has every luxury appointment, with a large trailer for toys, at a physical cost.

Stick with your offroad vans!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

I agree but seems like we're running out of vans capable of off road travel. The Fuso chassis and overall construction is nice but the drivetrain is lacking until they find a solution for adding a transfer case plus they cost so much. Even then the ATW Fuso is fairly large. I'd like to see SMB build something in the middle size wise and it seems like a pickup cutaway might be the only choice.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #15

Chevy platform, then Sprinter (light 4x4ing), then I'd go with a Crew Cab pickup and anything from an XP camper to a popup slide in. You lose a lot when you depart the van body, but losing some of the mechanical issues and problems getting them worked on come with that. Sometimes a nice factory 4x4 that nobody questions would be nice, and an engine you can actually work on...

Right now my next rig, in my mind, is a stock 4x4 Sprinter with 4-up captains and stock 4x4. I just want to get out for the next few years, not necessarily do Imogene or anything extreme. I'm glad the 2015 sprinters 4x4s are sold out because I'm going to be looking for a used one around 2020...
Old 01-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Chevy platform, then Sprinter (light 4x4ing), then I'd go with a Crew Cab pickup and anything from an XP camper to a popup slide in. You lose a lot when you depart the van body, but losing some of the mechanical issues and problems getting them worked on come with that. Sometimes a nice factory 4x4 that nobody questions would be nice, and an engine you can actually work on...

Right now my next rig, in my mind, is a stock 4x4 Sprinter with 4-up captains and stock 4x4. I just want to get out for the next few years, not necessarily do Imogene or anything extreme. I'm glad the 2015 sprinters 4x4s are sold out because I'm going to be looking for a used one around 2020...
I do agree on that but I want to do those more technical routes. An ER isn't for that but would be great as a rig to travel the states with while staying within a road trip type adventure. I don't have a family and anybody traveling with me needs to bring a tent. My van is actually over sized in most cases when I'm by myself but it's also great to get inside during poor weather and have a drink or two with a friend prior to crashing out so cab heat is one of the priorities. If I'm just camping off easy roads by myself I have a living room on wheels and again having heat is a huge benefit. The thing is it seems I've been dodging bullets off roading in areas that would cost an arm and a leg to get a van out of in a breakdown. I've thought about hauling a ATV but am uncomfortable about leaving the SMB at a trailhead for several hours with an empty trailer attached. Setting up a base camp and driving a highway legal vehicle to the trail seems to make more sense. I've also thought about keeping the SMB and buying something like Charlie56 has.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

Here you go....

Old 01-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #18

Herb, perfect sprinter conversion!!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

And I will say I can actually admit it looks good.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #20

That sprinter was converted in Iceland a few years back. Details here:

http://www.4x4offroads.com/mercedes-ben ... -inch.html

tv
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote