Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #11

Well thats good to hear! My wife and I work about 120 to 140 days a year so travel/goofing around is a high priority and we feel that a SMB will only help us achieve such feats with ease!

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
BC

maybe not drastic changes in used prices but certainly taking longer to sell and some are lowering prices in order to move them. Go look in Classifieds. And the SMB site doesnt seem to be working quite the magic it used to either (nice ones went quickly), altho still worth the fee for many as it is such a unique vehicle you need to go where the customer/market is. Either way, the stock of quality used is definitely is higher than normal and guessing some of that has to be fuel-related.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
. . .but I can't help but wonder why there are so many used SMB's that are only a year or two old with very few miles. . .
I don't think that is anything new. Because of the expense of the loaded 4x4 Sportsmobile they are not practical for most people to own for the long term. But, because SMBs are so 'cool' and such great machines, I think a lot of people finance the hell out of them and plan to keep them just long enough for a few epic road trips then sell them off.

What I'm thinking is that if the resale values are going down, this practice is going to become drastically more expensive.

Like alta, I'm proud to say my van is paid for even if its only a 2001 Quigley. I'm still curious as to what might be happening to its resale value as of late.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #14

I basically wrote any resale value off when I purchased my van. I plan to drive it into the dirt- planned anyway. With the price of diesel I don't know if I can put that many miles on it, but I still plan to keep it until the wheels fall off or I can afford a new one... maybe an 100% electric one.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
BC

same here, wasnt thinking re-sale just use it. Sometimes you do have to make the effort, to get out and do what its made for. My theory is even if gas spikes to some ridiculous price or god forbid becomes rationed or something, at least I can put it on blocks and still live in it.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #16

Yeah, I only wish resale prices had dropped! But SMBs are worth what people are willing to pay for them, I guess, so used prices remain high.

We bought a 7-year-old SMB with ~55K miles on it in March. The owner was selling because he had remarried and had a baby with his new wife - no camping in the near future for them.

Despite the high price of diesel, we are pleased with our new toy. It fits the mode of the type of recreation we do - we like to have a comfy base camp in a remote place, and then backpack or bike or hike.

Plus, we are investors in a biodiesel company and hope that biodiesel will come down in price as production gets underway.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #17

Stanton, you are on the money about folks purchasing for big road trips then unloading the vans. The first Sportsmobile I saw on ebay was owned by some movie star who had used it to go to Alaska and live in while on a film shoot. It had 7K miles and went for something like the high $80's. That was about a year ago.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Re:

Reread this old post....looks like used prices not only held up well, they appear to have increased a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmocken
As long as SMB holds a monopoly on this type of van, the resale prices will be good.

For Class A and C, new and used prices dropped. SMB new prices will not drop, used prices will maintain value

Think of all those Westy's out there...can't get them anymore. Roadtrek and SMB will continue to sell well to replace them.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote